Talk

Advanced search

If I trace round a dolls dress (princess type one with flouncy skirt, will it be easy enough to make a pattern from?

(8 Posts)
lucysmam Thu 11-Dec-14 20:27:16

Dp's just suggested Elsa dresses for the girl's dolls as an extra something to unwrap. I've never made dolls clothes & I don't think the only place in town to sell (an incredibly limited selection of) sewing patterns, had ones for dolls clothes.

I have fabric to use that dp's aunt bought me, just not sure where to start with a pattern to work from.

Any help or advice would be great! tia smile

Didactylos Thu 11-Dec-14 21:27:49

What sort of dolls are they?

theres some good tutorials out there eg theses for barbie

www.missbcouture.com/english/princess-dress/fairy-dress/
www.missbcouture.com/english/princess-dress/redprincess-oct10/

lucysmam Thu 11-Dec-14 21:37:01

Tiny Tears and Chou Chou dolls.

I'll have a google and see if I can find anything specifically for them.

There are patterns out there but I think I'll be pushing it a bit if I wait about for post.

StillSmallVoiceOfQualms Thu 11-Dec-14 22:16:11

I've made some simple Elsa dresses with a sleeveless vest top, gathered skirt and open back with velcro fastening. If you've got dresses that fit them already you could trace the bodice back and front (minus any sleeves) and then just add a gathered skirt. Don't forget to add seam allowances. Make it up in kitchen roll first to check dimensions and fit.

Dolls clothes are always a big hit in this household - even my ropier concoctions are much-loved.

lucysmam Thu 11-Dec-14 22:28:42

grin kitchen roll and greaseproof paper are my best friends atm! I made an entire skirt for dd1 from a roll of greaseproof to check fit.

Sleeveless might be the way to go.

I can't find a tutorial (admittedly I have only looked on Pinterest so far) so will do some cutting and pinning while the girls are out tomorrow when I finish off another skirt.

Didactylos Thu 11-Dec-14 23:16:05

try measuring the dolls height and searching for patterns by that as well as the specific doll makes

Didactylos Thu 11-Dec-14 23:16:48

there are a lot of free/print your own ones

lucysmam Fri 12-Dec-14 08:17:19

Thanks Did, I'll google search by height this morning, only tried Pinterest last night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now