Talk

Advanced search

Quick and easy Christmas Decorations

(14 Posts)
3bunnies Wed 10-Dec-14 06:01:57

My dc usually make decorations for the teachers and TAs, this year have run out of time and inspiration! Need to make about 9, children are 5-9. Nothing messy as will need to make at Grandparents house. Happy to have parental input for 5y&7yr old but would like it to come from them but still look nice iyswim.

DarceyBustle Wed 10-Dec-14 06:20:31

Use this Clay

You can add food colouring which works greats especially Red and Green.

The end results from a group of four and five year olds was:

3bunnies Wed 10-Dec-14 07:19:45

They look great, but it would cause too much hassle from my dm. She is in the early stages of Alzheimers and we would never hear the end of the questions and comments and fear that we had ruined their oven.

It really does need to be something which doesn't involve any paint, glitter, clay, ovens. Ideally which also means that they can spend a short time in the same room 'being good' and industrious. Might get away with a little fabric glue.

The dc are v good and understand about dm as best they can but the visits do need to be carefully managed.

LizzieMint Wed 10-Dec-14 07:29:45

We made great button christmas trees to hang on real Christmas trees. you need wire and lots of green buttons. Thread the buttons onto wire in size order and make a hanging loop at the top.
Like this
media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/1200x/52/8d/88/528d8813b1bce4049a27d9f054a7e7e5.jpg
Have a look on Pinterest for ideas

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Wed 10-Dec-14 07:37:30

I made this kind of thing with felt before. I sewed mine but I would have thought a child could do it with glue.

I remember making them from paper as a child.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Wed 10-Dec-14 07:38:14

How about salt dough? It's only food ingredients so your mother shouldn't worry about her oven.

3bunnies Wed 10-Dec-14 08:03:36

We made button trees a few years ago but these might all be different TAs, will need to work it out. The paper ornaments look realy good- they suggested glue dots which would work well.

Unfortunately she wouldn't necessarily remember what went into the salt dough when we left so might still be convinced that we had poisoned her oven. She is at the stage that she rings the police if she's lost something convinced that it has been stolen. Don't want to make the front page for my attempts to poison them by salt dough!

TimelyNameChangey Wed 10-Dec-14 20:57:52

Good old pine cones and glitter and beads to make little "christmas trees"? You can add white paint on the ends for snow. Use lids off things as the pot to glue them too and make stars for the top?

NotTheKitchenAgainPlease Wed 10-Dec-14 21:01:52

What about using air dry clay
No oven needed and you could press sequins or beads in for decoration.

MiaowTheCat Thu 11-Dec-14 18:44:53

Lollypop stick snowflakes? Could pre-do the sticks painted white... basically glue some into a star shape and then weave whatever white/silver wool/ribbon you can get around them a bit till they look like a snowflake.

KatyMac Thu 11-Dec-14 18:49:55

2 old CDs glued together with glue dots (cleverly inserting a loop of silver ribbon/string in between to hang it up with)

Picture of child over one centre card with Christmas 2014 (& child's name) on the other then decorate with stickers

KatyMac Thu 11-Dec-14 18:51:37

this is good too

Iwantacampervan Fri 12-Dec-14 14:03:39

Buy cheap baubles and decorate with silver/gold pens - add names and Christmas 2014 etc.

NoLongerJustAShopGirl Sun 14-Dec-14 09:50:44

snowman handprint bauble - mine have done those this year, really good, really quick and really easy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now