Talk

Advanced search

Sewing machine question

(7 Posts)
rockybalboa Tue 09-Dec-14 21:21:43

I have this sewing machine (the John Lewis Mini if I've buggered up the link...) and I'm hoping to go on a machine embroidery course next year where I will need to drop the feed dogs on the machine. But I don't know how or even if you can do that on my machine, does anyone know please?

lurkerspeaks Tue 09-Dec-14 23:01:43

I'm not sure you can.

It doesn't mention it in the product blurb. The drop feed button/ lever is usually at the back. On my machine (Janome) it is a slider situated on the back underneath the feed dogs along the bottom edge of the machine (you have to take the storage compartment off to reach it but I'm not sure your machine has a removable storage compartment.

rockybalboa Tue 09-Dec-14 23:12:17

It has a little storage drawer that pulls out. I didn't think to look inside there but I will do, thank you!

rockybalboa Tue 09-Dec-14 23:13:33

The blurb says an emphatic NO to 'integrated drop feed'. Is that the same thing?

RaisingSteam Tue 09-Dec-14 23:38:31

I would think integrated drop feed is a bit of a refinement for a mini machine like that. Still worth going on the course, if they provide a machine, then if you like it you can look for another machine, maybe secondhand. The basic fullsize machines start about £120 and should have drop feed.

Some machines have a "darning plate" which does the same thing but covers the feed rather than dropping/disabling them.

willotess Sun 14-Dec-14 10:06:11

You might have a little plate that fits over the feed dog in your bag of accessories. However I doubt that your mini machine would cope with free embroidery. Use the machines at the centre is my best advice - you will probably be tempted to buy a more advanced model though!

rockybalboa Tue 16-Dec-14 23:49:31

Thanks all. I spent some time in the haberdashery department at John Lewis yesterday and my machine (which is for children apparently!) won't do it. I will borrow one off the lady who runs the course and then look at upgrading mine if necessary. I'm not too fussed about fancy functions though and it seems that integrated drop feed and fancy functions go hand in hand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now