Talk

Advanced search

What do I need to create covers for glass in internal French doors?

(9 Posts)
Anticyclone Mon 08-Dec-14 12:00:20

So we have a couple of glazed French doors onto the living room, we also have a sofa bed in there for guests, so I would like to be able to cover the glass easily to give them privacy, but in a way that is easily removable so it doesn't get in the way the rest of the time.

I was thinking of sewing a flat sheet of fabric to match the size of the glass on one door and then trying to attach it to the door the way you do with some net curtains. So there will be two little eyelets screwed into the top of the door, and then the top of the fabric will need that little elastic strip which has hooks on either end sewn into the top. So the fabric can be hung onto the door. Does this sound reasonable?

Am I making sense? Do these eyelets and elastic strips with hooks have a specific name so I know what to look for?

TIA

Stayworkathomemum Mon 08-Dec-14 12:21:10

How about a small curtain pole living room side with some decorative curtains and holdbacks.

It will just look like a dressed window then and you can keep them open and the light flooding through in the day time.

Anticyclone Mon 08-Dec-14 12:45:28

I see what you're getting at, but the doors open 180 degrees and sit flat against the wall with very little space, so I think a curtain pole would stick out too much and hit the wall.

alabasterangel Mon 08-Dec-14 21:25:39

Yes I get you.

In the 'old days' my mum would have her nets up with what you describe. A wirey cable thing, white, with eyelets on the receiving end and hooks on the frame. The wire in the cable provided a modicum of stretch.

What you can get now is an extendable lightweight rod which comes with companion tiny hooks which have self adhesive pads on them. You stick the hooky pads where the eyelets would have been, and the rod where the cable thing would have gone.

Let me google and come back.....

alabasterangel Mon 08-Dec-14 21:31:51

This is it..... www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telescopic-Rod-for-Net-Curtains-White-with-2-Free-Pin-Hooks-Per-Rod-/181465005531?pt=UK_HG_ScreensShutters_RL&var=&hash=item2a40283ddb

You would need 4?

I've used the same to attach a rod inside a half glass panelled bathroom door, one at the top and one at the bottom. I have the fabric reasonably taught and the bottom hooks upside down to keep the fabric from looking loose.

Anticyclone Tue 09-Dec-14 09:21:33

Ooh very good alabasterangel you have understood me correctly, that looks like a good solution.

From looking at the eBay pic, are those "hooks" actually just squares of plastic? Because the only worry I would have with hooks mounted on the door would be people catching themselves on them while the fabric is not attached. But those on the link don't look like sharp "hooky" hooks IYKWIM so I suspect they will be safe when people/children brush past the door.
Thanks again!

berceuse Tue 09-Dec-14 14:15:50

If you google 'net curtain elastics' you find things like this

www.amazon.co.uk/Curtain-Wire-Length-Includes-Hooks/dp/B002Z8N0KC

you cut put the eyes in the door so that the hooks were on the wire you removed and not have anything remotely sharp.

I am thinking of using something from here for a high window that leads into a utility room that goes into a shower room, but it is permanent.

www.purldeco.com

Woozlebear Tue 09-Dec-14 14:24:04

I know exactly what you mean. Elastic looks better than a rod.

http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-curtain-wire-kit-with-hooks-and-eyes/p348388#page_loaded

Anticyclone Tue 09-Dec-14 20:48:16

Ooh even better many many thanks, that is exactly what I'm looking for, I had no idea you could just screw the hooks into the end of the wire!

And that Amazon one is 1.35 with free delivery! What a bargain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now