Talk

Advanced search

Decorations to make that little sweets can be put in?

(15 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 04-Dec-14 09:14:48

I've been struggling with this one. I'm looking for a craft activity for children where they can make a 3d shape of some sort like a star or other Christmas themed that they can pop a little sweet in and hang it from the tree.

Any suggestions please?

OwlCapone Thu 04-Dec-14 09:32:23

A friend tried (and failed actually) to make decorations by putting a sweet into a balloon, blowing it up and then wrapping gluey string round it.

When the glue has set, in theory you pop the balloon and have a cage with a sweet inside.

I don't know what exactly went wrong with their attempt.

OwlCapone Thu 04-Dec-14 09:32:49

It would be kind of bauble shaped for a Christmas link.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 04-Dec-14 09:45:00

That sounds pretty cool smile experimenting would be required first though! glitter would also make it Christmassy!

AdventCaroline Thu 04-Dec-14 09:45:46

I've done some with DD this year. I made my own up though, so I don't have a template.

We drew 6 pointed stars on a piece of card (2 per decoration).

Then we drew a rectangle and divided it up like a ladder - a half length rung at the bottom and top and two full length rungs in the middle - so we ended up with a small rectangle at the top and bottom and three squares in the middle.

Then we drew little flaps beside each square/ rectangle, cut everything out, folded down the flaps and the "rungs" of the ladder, so they made a little U shape for the sweets to go in. Then put glue on the flaps and stuck a star on each side. We put holes through the two smaller rectangles and put thread through to hang them up.

That probably makes no sense!

It is much simpler than it sounds!

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 04-Dec-14 09:57:31

That does make sense - its really clever and sounds ideal. Thank you! fsmile

UnrelatedToElephants Thu 04-Dec-14 10:15:58

www.firstpalette.com/Craft_themes/Special_Occassions/Valentines_Day/wovenheartbasket/wovenheartbasket.html these are traditional danish heart-shaped baskets. Very cute.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 04-Dec-14 10:19:03

Those are beautiful unrelated. Thank you smile

MokunMokun Thu 04-Dec-14 10:24:47

I made mini stockings out of felt and just sewed around the edge in tapestry thread. It was very easy.

Why not google origami boxes? I made a cute little origami envelope to put DS's tooth fairy money in.

skylark2 Thu 04-Dec-14 11:43:04

I was going to say the Danish hearts but unrelated beat me to it.

If your DCs are very little, you can reduce the number of strips to make it simpler. I made them with Cubs one year and had them do three strips rather than four. Also you really don't need a template - if you cut a piece of A4 paper in half lengthways, then fold it in half, you can round the corners and cut the lines by eye. It doesn't even matter if the lines are straight and/or parallel - you can get some really cool effects if they aren't.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 04-Dec-14 15:05:11

I really like the danish hearts. Its for a range of age of children so I think I will do a mix of these activities. Thanks smile

madsadbad Sat 06-Dec-14 13:31:57

some here

madsadbad Sat 06-Dec-14 13:33:37

christmas trees here
for younger ones you could get them to decorate.

madsadbad Sat 06-Dec-14 13:35:28

Christmas tree with chock at the bottom

madsadbad Sat 06-Dec-14 13:36:45

not quite what you asked for, candy cane made up to look like a reindeer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now