Talk

Advanced search

Sizzix Big Shot Machine - I don't need this, do I??

(21 Posts)
Tensmumym Wed 03-Dec-14 13:55:57

Please explain to me why I shouldn't buy this Sizzix Big Shot Machine. I probably won't use it all that much but I think I really want it.

Germgirl Wed 03-Dec-14 13:58:55

I've got one & I love it. But dies are expensive & can only cut one size.
What do you want to cut? Do you make cards of scrapbook or do you want die cuts for something else?

Tensmumym Wed 03-Dec-14 14:04:50

Thanks Germgirl. The thing is, I'm a novice so not entirely sure what a die is?? blush I was mainly interested in making cards and conscious of how long it takes to cut things out.

Petallic Wed 03-Dec-14 14:10:09

Dies are the metal shapes that you use to cut your shapes out. You buy the metal dies separately and they come in all shapes and sizes.

The other option is a machine (eg Silver Bullet) that you link to your PC that will cut any shape you tell it to bit they have a bit of a steeper learning curve.

A Big Shot is a good place to start your addiction though smile

Tensmumym Wed 03-Dec-14 14:11:42

Thanks Petallic. On the video demonstration it looked like you just fed through whatever you wanted to cut and it appeared. So what they are feeding through are the dies and they don't come with the machine - is that it?

Petallic Wed 03-Dec-14 14:24:31

If you buy the starter Big shot pack you do get some dies like butterfly and circle frame shapes or similar included. What you feed through the machine is a sandwich of layer which depending on your model of machine the order might vary but it basically two cutting plates on the outside and sandwiched inside is the paper/card you want to cut and the metal die. By rolling this sandwich of layers through the machine enough pressure is applied so that the paper is cut by the metal die.

Also eBay is a cheaper place to buy does from than Hobbycraft usually. And when you are bored of a die or only needed it for one project you can sell it one via eBay too.

Tensmumym Wed 03-Dec-14 14:27:48

Thanks very much Petallic. Will have a look on Ebay.

Germgirl Wed 03-Dec-14 14:48:30

Tensmumym I have a serious die addiction, if you'd like me to cut you some shapes, drop me a PM & I'll send you a selection.

Tensmumym Wed 03-Dec-14 17:38:01

Thanks very much Germgirl. Have sent you a PM.

skylark2 Thu 04-Dec-14 11:58:36

I have an original Sizzix machine from before the Big Shot came out. I bought it when my kids were at playgroup and I was running mums and toddlers - I used to buy myself dies from ebay as a treat, and it was absolutely excellent for producing piles of paper flowers, or Christmas trees, or anything really - you can have a quick themed craft activity for the price of a few sheets of coloured A4 paper and five minutes work.

These days I mostly use it for making my own Christmas cards. I also made some Halloween garlands for DD who is in her first year at uni to decorate her flat kitchen with. White ghosts, orange pumpkins, black cats, all stapled to a long piece of wool.

I agree that dies are expensive - I dread to think what the total cost of mine was, definitely in the hundreds! But I have no regrets about buying it. It's been occasionally useful over a period of 15 years plus.

Tensmumym Thu 04-Dec-14 18:05:50

Thanks skylark2.

EddieVeddersfoxymop Thu 04-Dec-14 18:08:06

I love my big shot, almost as much as my DD who will die cut anything that sits still long enough. You need it in your life if you're a crafter, sorry! grin

level3at6months Sat 06-Dec-14 16:58:36

I bought one on ebay on a whim and wondered why when it arrived, but now it gets loads of use. I have it at school and the children use it loads to cut shapes. Fantastically brilliant grin and helps us make great cards with a bit of simple DT thrown in.

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 09-Dec-14 08:19:26

I love mine. I've got what I consider "essential" dies and I reckon it works out cheaper than buying in the long run (I scrapbook, make cards, and sew.

The large dies will cut fabric, paper, card, even sheet magnet I think.

My favourite dies are:

Alphabet set
Pocket (for journalling on scrapbook)
Tags (for presents)
and basic shapes like flowers, stars, circles etc.

I think you can also use other dies with the machine if you get the correct adapter -the Spellbinder dies are simply stunning.

rockybalboa Tue 09-Dec-14 21:12:23

I am dithering about whether to ask for one for Christmas. I don't make cards or scrapbook but I do sew and envisage using it to cut lots of felt shapes.

Petallic Tue 09-Dec-14 21:18:22

They are good but cutting felt does wear the dies more. Most cope with acrylic felts a lot better than 100% wool and if you quilt then a Big Shot Pro might be a good investment as there's a lot of larger quilting size dies available.

eBay and gumtree are good for buying second hand machines, which leaves more money free for splurging on dies smile

Tensmumym Tue 09-Dec-14 22:48:35

Thanks everyone. Is £51 a good price or could you get one for much cheaper second hand? Would a second hand machine be okay? Are they quite sturdy? I need to organise a trip to Hobbycraft - my first! - to hopefully see one in action.

LetThereBeCupcakes Wed 10-Dec-14 11:10:24

They're pretty sturdy. My 2 year old plays with mine and he gives it some abuse!

Can I come to Hobbycraft with you? Please? grin

Tensmumym Wed 10-Dec-14 12:47:36

Thanks Cupcakes. I would like to go to Hobbycraft today but I can't see when I can justify going when I have so much to dosad Does Hobbycraft do demonstrations of their products at your own home? Something like Pampered Chef parties would be a good idea.

LetThereBeCupcakes Wed 10-Dec-14 15:09:24

I have no idea but I would definitely go to a party like that! If you live anywhere near me you can come and see mine. I'm in Wiltshire. Have you tried you tube for videos?

Petallic Wed 10-Dec-14 21:01:07

If you have a local Stamp It Up demonstrator they will come and do a craft party in your home. Have no idea of prices but they sell dies if not the actual machines. Local independent craft shops are also good as lots have weekly scrapbooking and crafting drop in sessions where you can try out equipment. Happy shopping!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now