Talk

Advanced search

Attic24 cosy blanket crochet help

(15 Posts)
blackheartsgirl Sun 30-Nov-14 19:41:35

Maths really is not my strong point blush so be gentle with me if it's glaringly obvious.

To make a blanket the same size as hers she says to chain 198 but that the starting chain must be a multiple of 3 especially if you want to reduce the size of the starting chain.
Is 198 a multiple of 3? I didn't think so but I reckon my maths is that shit I must be wrong. Then I thought she must have added on 2 turning chains but she uses trebles and I thought you always added on plus 3 chains for turning in which case it would make it 199 not 198 .

Please help I am in such a muddle, I really want to make this blanket.

Mhw02 Sun 30-Nov-14 19:53:00

Yes, it is a multiple of 3! 198 is double 99.

blackheartsgirl Sun 30-Nov-14 20:02:11

Ah thank you. Of course it is. I've really sat and thought about it and now I feel really stupid blush

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Sun 30-Nov-14 20:09:57

You can check if any number is a multiple of 3 by adding the digits until you end up with a single digit. If that number is 3,6 or 9 it is a multiple of e

eg
1+9+8 = 18
1+3 = 9
Therefore it is a multiple of 3

1+9+9 = 19
1+9 = 10
1+0 = 1
Therefore not a multiple of 3

blackheartsgirl Sun 30-Nov-14 20:21:00

Thank you aJumpedUp. That's useful. I can't believe I don't know this stuff.

In my defence I did fail GCSE Maths 5 times because I had such horrible teachers both in primary and secondary.

Next thing is to chain that long chain..arghh

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Sun 30-Nov-14 20:23:09

Good luck - I have to admit when I'm crocheting something with a long starting chain I leave a really really long yarn tail at the start.
That way, when I've crocheted the starting chain and the first row if I am short of 1 or 2 stitches for the final set of 3 I bodge them using the long tail.

blackheartsgirl Sun 30-Nov-14 20:30:35

I will try that I think, I do need absolute peace and quiet so its something to try when the dc are in bed

TheWoollybacksWife Sun 30-Nov-14 20:41:18

One thing that I used to do when crocheting a long chain was put a safety pin in every 10 or 20 stitches - that way you only have to count from the last marker if you lose count.

Lifesalemon Sun 30-Nov-14 20:41:26

I always do my starting chain with a slightly bigger hook too. Makes it easier to do your first row. Good luck.

tribpot Sun 30-Nov-14 20:46:24

I know a number of people doing the cosy blanket have started with a row of foundation double crochet instead of a long chain.

PolterGoose Sun 30-Nov-14 21:52:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

blackheartsgirl Sun 30-Nov-14 23:24:40

Thanks everyone! Feeling more confident now. Didnt manage to make a start but im going to have a go tomorrow. Also quite interested in the foundation double crochet

hillbilly Wed 07-Jan-15 13:51:41

How's the blanket coming along blackhearts? I just started one last week - this crocheting lark is completely new to me and I am absolutely loving it. I think I have found my lifetime hobby!

blackheartsgirl Sun 11-Jan-15 11:48:33

sorry hillbilly Ive just seen this.

Ive started it and I'm about 45 rows in and it's coming along nicely. The sides are a little wavy but I reckon I can disguise those with the border. I am loving it and the colour combination too. I didn't do much over christmas and new year as I had a lot going on but I'm going to pick it up again this week.

yy to the lifetime hobby. I started to crochet last year at 36 and I wish that I had learnt years and years ago but then we didn't have youtube and the excellent books around that we do today. Crochet is my go to when I'm stressed, upset or just need to relax. I love it so much.

hillbilly Sun 11-Jan-15 11:57:05

Yes my sides are a little wavy too! I'm on my 18th colour stripe and IIRC there are 90 in total. I just can't put it down grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now