Talk

Advanced search

Sewing projects book for 7yo DD - any recommendations?

(5 Posts)
plipplops Sat 29-Nov-14 14:19:24

DD has used my sewing machine couple of times and can sort of hand sew. For Christmas I want to get her a really nice book of easy projects, and a sewing box of bits to help her (which will probably be a nice cake tin with various cottons, scissors, pins etc..)

Any recommendations on a lovely book, and things I might not have thought of to put in her 'kit'?

skylark2 Sat 29-Nov-14 19:31:42

I was given this as a child. It's dated but I think it would be perfect for what you describe - it goes from very, very simple hand stitched projects up to basic clothes using a sewing machine, and many of the projects are doll's clothes, dolls house furniture and other things that a seven year old is likely to actively want.

I still get it out occasionally. It has really clear pictures of things like sewing in a zip.

www.amazon.co.uk/Learn-Sew-Book-Janet-Barber/dp/0600359107

Just bear in mind that it is from the 1970s - there is a reference to one boy being a tester, but there are also plenty of references to "mother's sewing box" etc. and the sewing machine instructions assume it's hand cranked.

One thing to not get her is a pincushion - because making one is such a good early project. I still use the hedgehog one I made myself from this book...

berceuse Sat 29-Nov-14 20:19:25

I filled a little jar with buttons last year which went down very well. A local department store has jars of them that you buy by weight. Our local fabric shop will sell as little as you need/want so I bought about 8 x 1/4 metres of floral poly cotton for about £5! Small pieces of felt are useful, most sewing shops sell them.

We do have a couple of books, sewtastic is one of them www.amazon.co.uk/Sewtastic-Craft-Book/dp/1472311663.

I can't remember the other one and the books are all piled up as we are decorating so I can't check!

plipplops Sun 07-Dec-14 10:13:15

Thanks, nice idea to get her some smaller bits of fabric we have a local shop where I can get those smile And buttons, was thinking about zips but that might be a stretch too far, maybe some velcro to add to her makes!

lurkerspeaks Sun 07-Dec-14 23:23:47

I've looked at this before and thought it was very good.

I decided the child I had in mind wouldn't use it so didn't buy it but Inwas very tempted. Some of the projects would even suit adult beginners.

www.amazon.co.uk/Sewing-For-Kids-Easy-Projects/dp/1446302601

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now