Advanced search

Sewing projects book for 7yo DD - any recommendations?

(5 Posts)
plipplops Sat 29-Nov-14 14:19:24

DD has used my sewing machine couple of times and can sort of hand sew. For Christmas I want to get her a really nice book of easy projects, and a sewing box of bits to help her (which will probably be a nice cake tin with various cottons, scissors, pins etc..)

Any recommendations on a lovely book, and things I might not have thought of to put in her 'kit'?

skylark2 Sat 29-Nov-14 19:31:42

I was given this as a child. It's dated but I think it would be perfect for what you describe - it goes from very, very simple hand stitched projects up to basic clothes using a sewing machine, and many of the projects are doll's clothes, dolls house furniture and other things that a seven year old is likely to actively want.

I still get it out occasionally. It has really clear pictures of things like sewing in a zip.

Just bear in mind that it is from the 1970s - there is a reference to one boy being a tester, but there are also plenty of references to "mother's sewing box" etc. and the sewing machine instructions assume it's hand cranked.

One thing to not get her is a pincushion - because making one is such a good early project. I still use the hedgehog one I made myself from this book...

berceuse Sat 29-Nov-14 20:19:25

I filled a little jar with buttons last year which went down very well. A local department store has jars of them that you buy by weight. Our local fabric shop will sell as little as you need/want so I bought about 8 x 1/4 metres of floral poly cotton for about £5! Small pieces of felt are useful, most sewing shops sell them.

We do have a couple of books, sewtastic is one of them

I can't remember the other one and the books are all piled up as we are decorating so I can't check!

plipplops Sun 07-Dec-14 10:13:15

Thanks, nice idea to get her some smaller bits of fabric we have a local shop where I can get those smile And buttons, was thinking about zips but that might be a stretch too far, maybe some velcro to add to her makes!

lurkerspeaks Sun 07-Dec-14 23:23:47

I've looked at this before and thought it was very good.

I decided the child I had in mind wouldn't use it so didn't buy it but Inwas very tempted. Some of the projects would even suit adult beginners.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now