Talk

Advanced search

Sewing machine recommendations?

(15 Posts)
Behoove Sat 29-Nov-14 11:09:19

Hope this is the correct thread?
I'd like to learn to sew, basic things like hems and curtains, what would be a good all-round machine to start me off?

Thanks in advance

bruffin Sat 29-Nov-14 11:13:48

The john lewis basic one is very good

Behoove Sat 29-Nov-14 13:21:15

Thank, I'll take a look at that one

willotess Sun 14-Dec-14 10:16:16

I'd advise not to get anything too basic, especially if you think you will take to sewing. Some of my students bought very basic machines as advised by the sewing shops, as they were complete beginners, and struggled with the lack of speed control, lack of stitch lengths and widths and the lightness of the machine. When they tried the computerised sewing machines at the Adult ed centre their sewing was transformed. They could use a speed control, the many useful stitches and presser feet that come as standard and were able to sew all sorts of fabric and thicknesses with ease.
Many of them have since upgraded their machines.
I always say buy the very best you can afford and try to stretch a little more!

Madcatgirl Sun 14-Dec-14 10:17:27

My mum rates her ikea one! She's always had sewing machines and says this is the best one she's ever owned, plus it was only £45!

willotess Sun 14-Dec-14 11:54:13

The IKEA one is too light and very limited in stitches. You'll have to keep chasing it across the table as you sew!

bruffin Sun 14-Dec-14 12:34:13

The John Lewis one will do everything the OP wants to do

Lifesalemon Sun 14-Dec-14 14:30:04

Good advice from willotess
I made the mistake of buying a cheap, light, basic machine and it was too basic, the stitch choice was very limited and it was definitely not strong enough to do any heavy duty sewing. It was like using a toy. I found it very frustrating and I soon upgraded to a better model.

bruffin Sun 14-Dec-14 14:52:31

this is the John lewis basic It is made by Jenome and a good quality machine. It does everything a beginner needs and has great reviews.

Lifesalemon Sun 14-Dec-14 16:40:04

bruffin Do you work for John Lewis?
I think you have got your message across - you like the John Lewis machine!
grin

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 14-Dec-14 16:48:10

Actually John Lewis themselves recommend spending a pound more and getting the Singer 8280.

bruffin Sun 14-Dec-14 17:02:25

No i dont work for them
I have the basic machine and it does the job op asked for and perfectly adequate without going overboard on spending to start with.

Lifesalemon Sun 14-Dec-14 17:21:27

I personally wouldn't spend £100 on a machine advertised as light duty when for not much more money you can get one suitable for all materials including denim, other things i would look for are seperate stitch length and width adjustment rather than just preset stitches and a one step button hole function.

PennyJennyPie Sun 14-Dec-14 17:35:02

I also have the jl one. It is a Janome rebranded which is a good brand. My mum picked it for me and she was a sewing teacher. I've heard the IKEA one is pretty crap though.

willotess Sun 14-Dec-14 18:13:36

The trouble is with buying a basic machine if you are a beginner- you don't stay a beginner and will probably want to do more and more adventurous projects. Then you will be wanting to upgrade your machine, so why not get a decent one in the first place, that offers variable speed, drop feed, variable stitch lengths and widths, needle down button and one step buttonholes.
I see many, many people and machines in my line of work and I can say that all those who have bought basic models wish they hadn't. For £50- 100 more you can get a pretty good one that will last a life time if looked after properly.
I agree that Janomes are pretty good machines and I recommend them to my students. The XL 601 is a very good computerised model.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now