Talk

Advanced search

Tell me your crafting disasters.....

(6 Posts)
Givemecaffeine21 Thu 27-Nov-14 13:53:57

I'm so gutted. I have been making DH a hat in Debbie Bliss wool on circulars and it was all going really well until I had to switch to dpns. They are my nemesis, I cannot comprehend them. It's like a game of pick up sticks and I get so muddled. Things weren't going well and I tried to finish it anyway contemplating a large pom-pom on the top to hide the mess, so snipped the wool and went to thread it through to finish. Disaster. Don't ask me how it happened but I've now got these big gloops of wool hanging down that won't bloody pull through again. It's gone from beautiful to looking like a mangled mess. It's currently at my mum's in the hope she can somehow undo the will-not-budge lengths of wool hanging out of it.

I was so upset that DH confiscated it as I felt like taking the scissors to it.

Bloody HATE dpns!

PolterGoose Fri 28-Nov-14 08:43:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Fri 28-Nov-14 08:58:41

Crafting disasters you say? Well I have had many. I spent months on a crocheted blanket and when it was finished the edging was a bit curly and I wanted it flat. So I ironed the blanket. It went from being something gorgeous, new and snuggly to looking flat, characterless and second hand. sad

I have many unfinished projects which, when I go back to them, I can see mistakes or design faults I have made (wrong colours or patterns, pieces of patchwork too small and fiddly, etc.)

The have only ever knitted 2 jumpers. One was mohair and it turned out I was allergic, the other was far too heavy, too short on the body and arms, and a colour that didnt suit me. It had taken me 2 years to make in which time I had not bought a new jumper. I ended up giving it away!

Sounds like you need a break from the dnps, but worth going back to again and mastering them.

Can you finish your hat on circulars, and make up how to drop the stitches, or is the pattern to complicated for that? Could you switch to another wool and give it a plain section on top?

blackheartsgirl Sun 30-Nov-14 20:27:40

I had one last year. I was new to crochet and thought I could just knot the colour changes together and then snip very close to the knot so I wouldn't have to sew in those annoying ends. I was so pleased with myself until the bloody knots came apart and completely ruined the blanket I made for dd2

Givemecaffeine21 Mon 01-Dec-14 13:40:57

Thanks guys :-) My mum, wonderful lady, undid the bloody disaster mess and I got back on track. I am going to master those wretched dpns though, they shan't out fox me!

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Mon 01-Dec-14 14:47:39

Good to hear it! I have high hopes or learning how to make socks at some point, but too much else to think about right now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now