Talk

Advanced search

So it's a long shot, but does anyone know anything about pyrography?

(4 Posts)
Stopmithering Wed 26-Nov-14 19:16:56

I'm thinking about buying a pyrography pen / gun / tool for a specific task but I have never used one, no idea if they are easy / effective etc and thought I'd ask here.
So, just that, has anyone got a pyrography tool?
If so, is it easy to use?
Does it do a good job?
Or should I scrap my idea and think of something else?

iamsofuckingfurious Wed 26-Nov-14 19:22:19

I have a dremel pyrography kit, its fairly cheap and easy to use. I would recommend getting a bit of practice in with it before you start your project as it does take a bit of getting used to and mistakes are easily made but not easily fixed.

MagicBacon Wed 26-Nov-14 19:25:31

I've got one and I find it difficult to use because just above the nib bit there is a guard, but this is also made of metal and gets just as hot so you can't hold it there and have to hold it further back up the handle. Imagine trying to write or draw with your hand right at the back of the pen, it's really tricky.

I love doing it and have made a few little gifts like wooden spoons with people's names on and little cupcakes etc, but I'd do more with it if I had one that was a bit better designed. Perhaps I'm supposed to wear one of those heatproof gloves?

Stopmithering Wed 26-Nov-14 19:32:04

So, my plan was to write names onto MDF Christmas shapes as place settings.
I saw a "Kirsty Allsopp" pyrography kit in Hobbycraft and wondered if it would be worth a punt or would I just be chucking money away?
Do you mean Dremel Versatip? Or something else, iamso?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now