Talk

Advanced search

Mini Sewing machine- advice please!

(8 Posts)
agoodbook Tue 18-Nov-14 20:42:43

Hi, I am looking to buy a beginner sewing machine for my daughter (grown up!) She has very limited storage space, so was looking at the following two. Just worried that though she is a beginner, should I get something with a bit more to it, so it will last. She wants it for simple stuff, but needs to be light to put up and away from roving grandson!
The ones I am looking at are
www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-mini-sewing-machine/p367714?colour=Yellow
www.amazon.co.uk/Beldray-Stitch-Sewing-Machine-Accessories/dp/B00A6AYMQM

Any other recommendations ?
Thanks

OwlCapone Wed 19-Nov-14 13:09:18

I think the JL one gets good feedback on Mumsnet.

berceuse Wed 19-Nov-14 17:22:32

There was a thread on this recently and I think that the consensus was not to buy the mini machine but to go for the full size one which has a longer warranty.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/arts_and_crafts/2224516-Sewing-machine-for-8yr-old-DD-Dangerous-frustrating-or-a-good-idea

agoodbook Wed 19-Nov-14 17:29:54

Thanks- I was wondering - I have had mine for so many years I've lost touch of what was available. Think after looking around I may get her the Brother I have seen and she can finally learn to do her own mending!

berceuse Wed 19-Nov-14 18:28:28

There seems to be so much choice - I went for a mechanical machine again last year when I changed mine as I don't do anything that a good mechanical won't manage.

Most decent basic machines go on forever, the one I replaced was 30 years old and was still absolutely fine but I just wanted a new one! I have kept the old one for repairing horse rugs and outdoor things.

agoodbook Wed 19-Nov-14 18:38:40

I know what you mean berceuse - I do look at new ones and hanker a little, but terrified that it will be so much more complicated! My trusty NewHome is 35 years old and I barely have to think to get it up and going smile

lurkerspeaks Sat 22-Nov-14 00:44:07

I've used one of these extensively,

It is a great machine and very neat.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELNA-LOTUS-SEWING-MACHINE-/331383310648?pt=UK_CraftsCollect_SewingMachines_RL&hash=item4d27fc0938

agoodbook Sat 22-Nov-14 22:16:05

thanks lurker - I shall investigate smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now