Talk

Advanced search

What do you think about this sewing machine?

(12 Posts)
HeyMacWey Wed 12-Nov-14 21:26:27

www.sewingmachines.co.uk/Janome110_info.htm

It's been about 20 years since I last sewed on my mum's old machine.

I have a load of blinds to make for the house and will need some of them will need to be lined /insulated. Will this machine be able to cope with the thickness?

Will probably get started on dress making too.

Happy to have any other recommendations!

Budget is up to £200

HeyMacWey Wed 12-Nov-14 21:27:33

www.sewingmachines.co.uk/Janome110_info.htm

Jenijena Wed 12-Nov-14 21:36:49

Have no idea about that sewing machine, but I got mine (a frister and rossman) from that company a few years ago and can recommend their excellent customer service (and freebies!)

Jenijena Wed 12-Nov-14 21:37:40

In fact, if you ring them up they'll probably be able to talk you through the best model for your requirements..

HeyMacWey Wed 12-Nov-14 21:41:47

Ooh thanks jenijena - good to know they've got good customer service.

StripyHorse Wed 12-Nov-14 23:26:37

Their own brand Janome machines are good value (cheaper than the Janome equivalent). I agree with the customer service... I was torn between a few machines and they were really helpful, and didn't steer me to the dearest machine.

berceuse Thu 13-Nov-14 06:56:00

I haven't looked at what else is available in your price range but I would buy that machine, very good basic metal bodied machine that will go on for years.

I would phone and speak to him too, he is a nice chap and will recommend something, ime something cheaper than I had planned to buy.

HeyMacWey Thu 13-Nov-14 07:38:16

Great - thank you - will try calling them and see what they recommend.

I'm wondering about waiting till after Xmas - do sewing machines ever go on sale? I guess it may only be ones that are being discontinued?

berceuse Thu 13-Nov-14 15:02:47

I don't know about sales tbh, somewhere like JL will reduce the odd machine in their sale or get some 'specials' in. I remember that they had a heavy duty machine reduced for a while earlier this year, a Janome one for about £185 because I recommended it to a friend.

The new model seems to be about £300.

Same friend (who didn't buy the reduced JL one) has ordered this today www.amazon.co.uk/Singer-4411-Heavy-Sewing-Machine/dp/B008CCK4RC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415890614&sr=8-1&keywords=singer+heavy+duty

not sure what it will be like.

I am a bit sceptical about the heavy duty labels tbh. Back in the day the machines labelled HD were just regular machines.

I don't think you can go far wrong with a basic mechanical metal bodied machine as long as you don't want to do anything too fancy. I sew curtains, costumes, skirts, soft furnishings, things we need (call myself a utility sewer!).

I went for a Bernina mechanical machine when I changed mine last year - same sort of idea, I expect it to last me 30 years. TBH I sort of regret spending £700 on a Bernina and wished I had gone for the same sort of thing in a cheaper brand as I can't see how it is worth the cost difference.

lurkerspeaks Fri 14-Nov-14 18:29:25

I bought for them too and was also pleased with the advice I got.

teawamutu Sat 15-Nov-14 09:55:58

I don't know about that machine, but I bought a Brother from them earlier this year (my first machine) and the service was absolutely superb. They couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. Will definitely use them if and when I ever upgrade.

HeyMacWey Sat 15-Nov-14 20:35:21

Excellent - thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now