Talk

Advanced search

Can any of you clever knitters identify this stitch?

(10 Posts)
TheGMF Tue 11-Nov-14 18:37:48

Would love to have a go at knitting this hat but can't identify the stitch. Anyone got any ideas?

TheWoollybacksWife Tue 11-Nov-14 19:04:29

It looks like a honeycomb stitch or possibly a honeycomb brioche stitch. If you put honeycomb stitch into the search box on Ravelry you will find similar looking projects.

tb Wed 12-Nov-14 19:41:19

It looks a little like a 1 x 1 cable that you do without using a cable needle. Rather than twisting at the back, you twist backwards and forwards, so the first one is done at the back and the next at the front, so the twist lies on the surface of the knitting. Means it's flatter.

TheGMF Wed 12-Nov-14 20:02:50

Thanks. Sounds tricky (for me!) but I'll give it a go.

ChunkyPickle Wed 12-Nov-14 20:09:13

purlavenue.com/2014/02/rickrack-rib-stitch.html

It's this isn't it?

bigTillyMint Wed 12-Nov-14 20:12:19

I think it looks like what tb says, although it could be ChunkyPickles!

Need a better close-up.

ChunkyPickle Wed 12-Nov-14 20:18:53

I agree - it's hard to see the strands to figure out where they're going - here's a better pic of that rickrack rib (I'd seen the stitch before and was thinking of using it for something so I may be seeing what I want to see)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ithladin_chan/7103934233/

ouryve Wed 12-Nov-14 20:20:44

Is it a bought or handknitted hat? Sometimes machine knitted garments can do things that are impossible to achieve by hand, by changing the weight of yarn used, and so on.

The rib of the band is thicker, due to a heavier yarn being used, and the rib pattern obviously not identical, but does this one have the sort of visual impact you're after?
nuttyirishmanknits.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/graham.html

TheGMF Thu 13-Nov-14 06:48:33

It's a bought hat from Boden. You get a better close up with their zoom feature.

You can also see the same patten on the back of the matching gloves.

bigTillyMint Thu 13-Nov-14 06:51:45

I think it is definitely tb's stitch - cable with a 2 stitch twist in and out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now