Talk

Advanced search

janome sewing machine, £99. Is it worth it?

(23 Posts)
mayihaveaboxofchoculaits Sun 09-Nov-14 14:40:24

I'm an occasional machine sewer and my 1960's singer has now given up the ghost, so im looking for a replacement.

What I'm looking for is a sturdy model, that can put up with ham fisted me.
I'll be doing mainly repairs, some easy dress making that sort of thing.

The sales assistant in the shop was suggesting that it might be too basic after a few months, and to go for a slightly more expensive (more features) model.

Has anyone bought this 20 60 model and what do you think of it?

Thanks

TheCunnyFunt Sun 09-Nov-14 19:45:32

I have a Janome 2032, just looked up the 2060 and it appears to have exactly the same features as mine and it's the same price. I have had Jeremy for just over a year now (complete novice, never been near a machine voluntarily in my life!) and he's been great, I've made 2 items of clothing, a dressing gown and a peasant dress. Both of these were for 2yo DD so they were only small things. I love Jeremy, he does everything I want/need him to. My lovely Grandma (she bought me Jeremy, she was over the moon when I told her I wanted to learn to sew!) says that when I've outgrown him she'll buy me an upgrade.

Being a complete beginner when I got him, he's put up with my hamfisted-ness very well over the past year. I broke my first needle last week, that was the first thing that went horribly wrong tbh but it was my fault I think.

If you're not going to be doing anything too ambitious with it then I reckon the 2060 should be fine smile

CuttedUpPear Sun 09-Nov-14 19:48:24

I have a Janome and it's lovely.
Unfortunately I can't find how to switch the light on so I don't use it as much as I would like to.

I did start a thread about this earlier in the year but got no response so I'm hopping onto your thread OP, in case any Janome experts turn up with answers for us both!

TheCunnyFunt Sun 09-Nov-14 19:54:10

On my Janome you just switch the machine on and everything comes on! What model do you have pear?

lurkerspeaks Sun 09-Nov-14 23:19:17

Same - turn machine on and light works. Do you need a new bulb?

I have a more expensive janome as I wanted the speed limiter....

BlueBrightBlue Sun 09-Nov-14 23:31:35

Janome gets my thumbs up, my overlocker is 30 years old and still going strong

Firedemon Sun 09-Nov-14 23:36:25

I have a Janome and its a work horse! Love it. The best domestic brand in my opinion. I've worked in fashion for a while and know a little about machines so feel qualified to say that smile

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 09-Nov-14 23:41:19

I have an old Janome New Home, from about mid-80s I think, and it's great. Puts up with my clumsiness and is so simple to use. Would def recommend.

My light comes on when the machine is switched on, i.e. I can't turn it off. I think you need a new bulb, Pear, but fear not, they're only about £1.

MiaowTheCat Mon 10-Nov-14 08:21:12

I'm not gentle with sewing machines (my old A-level textiles teacher used to cringe at how I hammered them about) and my Janome's done me just perfect.

JustAShopGirl Mon 10-Nov-14 14:50:53

the brand new modern cheap Janomes are really not a patch on the older ones for ruggedness, durability and capability for thicker materials. I would say that machine is fine for repairs and dressmaking, but if you were thinking about curtains and denim, maybe not...

mayihaveaboxofchoculaits Mon 10-Nov-14 18:12:31

Thanks everyone, for all the comments, they really helped. I ordered the slightly more expensive model today, and it's due for delivery on wednesday, from the local sewing shop. Ive got a couple of little projects lined up, so I can't wait to get stuck in.

Just need a good name for it! (following cunnys lead)

CuttedUpPear Tue 11-Nov-14 08:14:49

Mine (of the non-working light) is a Janome J3-24.

TheCunnyFunt Tue 11-Nov-14 08:20:37

grin I never usually name inanimate objects but as soon as I took him out the box I thought 'Ooh he looks like a Jeremy...'

mayihaveaboxofchoculaits Tue 11-Nov-14 09:14:00

cutted-Thats the same model i'm buying.

cunny- reminds you of Vine, Clarkson, Fisher?

TheCunnyFunt Tue 11-Nov-14 16:08:26

Nope, none of those. He just looked like a Jeremy grin

Pear This is the manual for yours, looks like the bulb just needs changing.

EmNetta Tue 11-Nov-14 16:38:56

My Janome (JB-something) was bought 20-30 years ago for ease of use. I still use it, no complaints, but am surprised that it cost about £20 more all that time ago. I don't think it's a Jeremy though....

CuttedUpPear Thu 13-Nov-14 08:08:26

I bought a new light bulb yesterday and the problem is fixed! blush
Thanks guys.

TheCunnyFunt Thu 13-Nov-14 19:11:53

grin Happy to have helped!

queenofthepirates Thu 13-Nov-14 19:27:48

I service sewing machines for a living so FWIW, here's my list of how to find a good machine, new or second hand:

1. If you can easily pick it up with one hand, leave it. When you get faster on the machine, it won't be steady enough and the stitches will skip
2. Ask if the machine will cope with curtains and jeans. If not, leave it. Eventually you'll sew something thick and substantial
3. If there's any rust on the machine, leave it, it's not been loved.
4. Ask if the machine's been used recently. If not, many older models will have seized up.
5. Lastly, if possible, sniff the machine. If it smells of oil, it's been looked after.
Ebay is full of good 1980s New Homes/Toyotas/Jones models all around £10-£25 in good condition. For a new machine, you can't go wrong with this with its 3 year guarantee www.johnlewis.com/brother-jk1700-sewing-machine/p955260

Hope that helps.

niaAnita Mon 17-Apr-17 22:29:08

Hi,

I've got a Janome 2060 today, but without any manual. Is there anyone, who has it and able to make photos and send it to me, as I'm absolutely new to sewing so it would be a great help.
I tried to find it online, but no luck.

Thank you x

elQuintoConyo Mon 17-Apr-17 22:33:58

I googled 'Janome 2060 manuel' and up it popped. Sorry can't link, i'm on my crappy phone!

elQuintoConyo Mon 17-Apr-17 22:35:15

Damnation!

A. Zombie thread!
B. Manual not Manuel grin
But
C. Great post from queenofthepirates so there's a silver lining!

niaAnita Tue 18-Apr-17 08:11:31

Thank you, I found it!
And I've got the instruction that 2060 is the British version of JR1012. (maybe somebody finds it useful later) :P

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now