Talk

Advanced search

Crewel work kit

(5 Posts)
berceuse Sun 09-Nov-14 07:57:18

Can anyone recommend a nice kit for a me for Christmas. I am making a wish list this year as DH is always lost for ideas.

I am quite crafty, sew, knit, weave, have done a few cross stitch kits for gifts, but never done embroidery.

I have come up with this, which I like, but can't judge the difficulty.

www.coleshillcollection.com/embroidery/crewel-embroidery/bethany.html

along with this book

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1844485501/ref=wl_it_dp_v_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3VESJUHBR3YTY&coliid=I215XZ6A1K7PZR

rembrandtsrockchick Sun 09-Nov-14 08:09:21

That looks like a nice kit and the book seems good too. I started the same way as you but not with a kit. I emboidered over a beautiful sanderson fabric sample. I now do abstract designs...though I don't actually design as such, I make it up as i go along. Crewel wool is great to work with and very forgiving.

I think you will enjoy yourself and open up a whole new crafty cornucopia of creativity!

berceuse Sun 09-Nov-14 09:13:36

Thanks, that is really good to hear, I will ask for those.

I really like some of the historical designs in the crewel work books, I can see myself becoming interested in the history of it all.

Orangeanddemons Sun 09-Nov-14 09:18:23

I love doing crewel work. I've looked at that book. I wish I worked for the Royal School of embroidery...

SmiteTheeWithThunderbolts Mon 10-Nov-14 11:55:37

The kit has a good variety of stitches. Have you done any hand stitching before? Eg French knots, chain stitch, buttonhole? If you have I think you'll be OK with that kit. If not, well there's always YouTube. As long as you're confident I think the kit will be OK for you.

As for the book, it's very good! I've been fortunate to have done a couple of classes at the RSN and their standards are very high. I looked through that book during a crewelwork class and was impressed with it, although I can't remember if I found the instructions easy to follow (which is the most important thing). It has very good reviews on Amazon so I think it's a safe buy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now