Talk

Advanced search

Sock knitting question

(9 Posts)
Iamcuriousyellow Thu 06-Nov-14 22:39:10

Hello knitty ladies
I discovered the joys of sock knitting recently and love it - over quickly so I don't get bored, just the right amount of tricky stuff in the middle - but when I'm knitting from one needle to another, I always get a loose "stripe" down the sock where either the wool's pulled apart, or I can't get the wool tight enough, I don't know.. Any ideas how I can keep it all much tighter? Is there a special technique for moving from one needle to another?

KatieKaye Thu 06-Nov-14 22:44:38

I did that too - unti I started using a marker to show the beginning of the round. So, if you have 60 stitches, with 20 on each needle, you knit 21 or 22 onto the next needle, then 21 or 22 onto the next one and so on, rather than just 20. That way you aren't always having the same two stitches over 2 needles and the round marker lets you see the beginning of each round.
Hope that makes sense!

Wolfiefan Thu 06-Nov-14 22:44:38

Are you using dpn?

puddock Thu 06-Nov-14 22:51:40

It's called laddering and it's usually a matter of tension - often too loose, sometimes overtightening though.

www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/11/how-to-avoid-laddering-when-knitting-in-the-round/

puddock Thu 06-Nov-14 22:53:03

techknitting.blogspot.co.uk/2007/04/how-to-avoid-ladders-on-dpns-double.html this is an even better link smile

Iamcuriousyellow Thu 06-Nov-14 23:39:55

Oh wow thanks all!

Iamcuriousyellow Fri 07-Nov-14 07:32:51

Ha can't believe I couldn't summon up the word "ladder"

But I'm using a safety pin as a marker and staggering the stitches now - lovely.

Cherrypi Fri 07-Nov-14 07:47:21

I find it easier to always start a new needle on a knit stitch instead of a pearl if ribbing and fiddle the pattern to do that.

Dutchoma Fri 07-Nov-14 08:41:35

When knitting in the round on dps I find it more helpful to share the stitches on two needles and knit with the third. The 'laddering' gets a bit worse, but straightens out after a few times wearing and looks more natural than when knitted on four pins. It was a trick taught to me in Shetland (on Unst , as far North as you can possibly get) and I do it for all knitting in the round that will not go on a circular needle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now