Talk

Advanced search

Good gifts for an Embroiderer?

(9 Posts)
MarysDressSways1 Thu 06-Nov-14 17:01:01

Hi all,

My mum has just taken up embroidery (recently did a beginners class) and has a few of the basic bits and bobs, but it's her birthday soon so I was wondering what embroidery gifts might be suitable?

She has lots of sewing things like sewing box/case/pins/needles/threads etc already.

Thanks!

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Thu 06-Nov-14 19:22:52

Well threads/silks are quite expensive. She'd probably love a good selection of those....choose a load of nice colours and put them in a nice box. Some good scissors and maybe a lovely book of embroidery techniques, history and ideas?

RavenRose Thu 06-Nov-14 20:48:33

We got MIL a fancy pair of scissors on a necklace so she always has a pair handy. These
www.golden-hinde.co.uk/Gold-Items/11311/silver-pewter--amulet-necklace-celtic-scissor.html

Nice silk threads, books? If she is interested in the history this may go down well?
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1861088086/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1415306646&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

The same author also does 19th and early 20th century

SmiteTheeWithThunderbolts Fri 07-Nov-14 11:49:17

What sort of embroidery is she doing? Machine or hand? Cross stitch, needlepoint, crewelwork, silk?

MarysDressSways1 Fri 07-Nov-14 18:36:47

It's by hand and... Needle point I believe. I shall investigate further!!

Thank you for all the suggestions so far. I shall take a look at them all! smile

SmiteTheeWithThunderbolts Mon 10-Nov-14 11:26:26

A daylight light-bulb would be useful (although not a particularly pretty present!).

MiaowTheCat Mon 10-Nov-14 12:24:47

I was going to suggest the daylight lamp as well - I know my mum had a nightmare tracking one down for herself a while back and it was something she was desperate for (and now you get screeched at to GERROUTOFMYCHAIR if your bum even goes within about a metre of where the chair the lamp's next to is)

Or a nice project bag? Dedicated fabric/thread/I'll kill you if they go near paper scissors?

Bassetfeet Mon 10-Nov-14 13:52:48

Daylight lamp definitely if she hasn't got one . Or if your mum is doing largish tapestry ....then a floor or seat frame as they allow you to have both hands free.
Laughed at your mum and her chair Miaow !

574ejones Tue 11-Nov-14 16:38:37

Google Nancy Nicholson who sells some really funky embroidery kits with the threads included. They are lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now