Talk

Advanced search

Lovely sewing box recommendations

(9 Posts)
Wilf83 Mon 03-Nov-14 14:27:42

Going to get one from dh for Xmas. The one I saw in JLewis is no longer available (shaped as a house) so need some inspiration please!

TheWoollybacksWife Mon 03-Nov-14 20:28:31

Was it the house shape that appealed to you or would you be happy with a traditional box shaped one? There are lovely box ones on the Hobbycraft website and the Cath Kidston website.

I bought one for my DD a couple of years ago and deliberately chose one that came without any threads, scissors etc. as I bought better quality ones and filled it myself, although if you sew you may have these things already.

SoCarpedium Mon 03-Nov-14 21:02:07

I've seen some in Dunelm and C&H fabrics. Do you sew, or is it a new hobby?

Wilf83 Mon 03-Nov-14 21:35:42

It's a new hobby- just started to cross stitch & love it! Very additive! smile it was the house shape that I liked but if I can't get that would like one that I won't get bored of looking at. I want to have it on display in my dining room so want it to look pretty.

Lifesalemon Mon 03-Nov-14 21:39:41

Bhs have a nice owl design sewing box and craft bag to match. The bag is on my Christmas wish list smile

SoCarpedium Mon 03-Nov-14 22:30:11

If it's a new hobby definitely get the nicest (one to your taste) that you can find. Storage soon loses it's 'prettyness' after a while grin

lavendersun Tue 04-Nov-14 06:05:06

I have a really old wooden box with a brass name plate on it (not my name just on it when I bought it), found in an antiques not posh antiques shop years ago.

Just very old waxed pine but with a brass lock and key and a tray at the back half of the top.

I love it - just another option if you like that sort of thing.

Jinglebells99 Tue 04-Nov-14 07:05:09

Cath kidston has lots of pretty sewing boxes and comes out with new designs often. i have one shaped like a old fashioned caravan. i think the current one is shaped like a retro radio. however it did go into the sale after christmas so might be worth waiting for the sale. i took mine back with the receipt and bought it again at the sale price! grin John lewis also is worth looking in too.

Wilf83 Tue 04-Nov-14 10:49:04

I'm not keen in the radio design- think I might wait until Cath Kidston brings out a new design.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now