Talk

Advanced search

Need to dye some sofa covers ( 100% cotton) , can anyone tell me the best dye to use please ?

(7 Posts)
frumpet Sat 01-Nov-14 09:10:40

Looked at Dylon stuff and also some other stuff that is on amazon , needs to be the machine dye stuff .

Orangeanddemons Sat 01-Nov-14 09:15:53

Dylon will be fine.

A word of warning. If the stitching is polyester, it won't dye

Orangeanddemons Sat 01-Nov-14 09:16:36

Also, be careful about shrinkage. They may shrink

lavendersun Sat 01-Nov-14 10:47:47

I wouldn't do it myself if I were you. I sent a set of mine away and they completely transformed my sofa. The professionals strip them first before dyeing to get a good uniform colour.

The covers I had dyed are for a 7ft sofa and it cost about £280. A year and a half on I still like them. I had another set made when I had the sofa made and planned on having those dyed to another colour but never got round to it but must do that.

I just searched my inbox and used these people

www.bluemill.co.uk/sofacoverdyers/FadedSofaCovers.html

They were really professional to deal with, made everything very easy with a very quick turnaround.

Worth every penny. I would have stain guard next time though which I didn't opt for as I did lift the colour a bit when I cleaned a spill up.

frumpet Sat 01-Nov-14 15:56:36

The sofa was a freebie and the covers were £100 , dont really wont to spend much more on it at the moment , so will give the dylon a go . Might take apart the old covers and make a pattern for some new ones just in case smile

Marcipex Sat 01-Nov-14 21:07:44

It might come out patchy , but if you hate them now it's probably worth a try.
The stitching will almost definitely not take the colour though.
I haven't done sofa covers, but have dyed lots of things with Dylon.

GemmaTeller Mon 03-Nov-14 15:16:18

I refreshed my sofa covers with Dylon in the washing machine - don't overload the machine or the dye will be patchy.

Mine turned out fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now