Talk

Advanced search

Sewing Stretch Fabric

(5 Posts)
LIZS Fri 31-Oct-14 17:20:59

Tried to repair the seam on dd's sports leggings which has frayed away but can't seem to get the thread to hold. Fabric is shiny stretchy lycra. Have tried an overlocker stitch, running stitch and zigzag , all on stretch setting, but all seem very inconsistent and won't stay put. I wondered if the bobbin tension might be wrong but have now run out of black thread so can't rewind it ! Any tips in case I get the chance to have another go ?

NewEraNewMindset Fri 31-Oct-14 17:24:12

I wonder if you could use reinforcement fabric on the inside and then use your machine to run back and forth over the seam to almost create a patch. I used to repair horse rugs and often used that technique.

RavenRose Fri 31-Oct-14 23:33:24

What needle are you using? It could be that. On something very stretchy like Lycra I would use a stretch needle as it does make a difference and stops stitches skipping. Also try wrapping stabiliser around the seam. Tissue also works, the tissue needs to be on top and underneath with the fabric in between. After sewing just tear it away. It also needs to be polyester thread as a pure cotton one doesn't have the stretch you need.

If you have a walking foot for the machine that might work better than the normal foot as well.

IDontDoIroning Fri 31-Oct-14 23:46:29

You need a stretch needle as it's got a slightly different point on it to normal needles. If you don't use a stretch needle then the stitches will jump.
If it's lycra I would get a proper stretch needle not a ball point which is used for less stretchy materials like Jersey.

It's to do with the way the needle pierces the fabric

www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/10/how-to-choose-sewing-needles/

Schmetz are very good needles you can get them on Amazon eBay or other online retailers or in good sewing shops.

LIZS Wed 05-Nov-14 11:12:57

Thank you all . Bought some stretch needles and sewed smoothly in overlocker stitch. Now just to hope the stitching holds when she wears them !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now