Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Could one of you instruct me in how to use this waistband stuff, please?

(11 Posts)
lucysmam Sun 26-Oct-14 10:18:50

I think...cut waistband from fabric and this foldable waistband stuff MIL has given me, iron shiny side onto waistband, stitch to skirt along first set of holes, fold in middle, tuck in top edge & sitch again?

But I'm not sure & have never used anything like it before confused

Thank you for any help!

lucysmam Sun 26-Oct-14 20:59:00

anyone? smile

VerucaInTheNutRoom Sun 26-Oct-14 22:44:56

Is it interfacing?

girlwiththemousyhair Sun 26-Oct-14 22:54:27

I think it is called petersham although I have never used an iron on one. It is useful when cutting a waistband on the bias but would work equally well on the grain. I think your suggested way of using it is spot on. Good luck

lucysmam Mon 27-Oct-14 08:35:21

It's made of the same stuff Veruca...I've just never seen it before.

lucysmam Mon 27-Oct-14 08:36:48

Thanks girl, I'll have a test run and see.

(sorry for separate posts - am on phone & couldn't remember who had posted)

NineteenForever Thu 30-Oct-14 13:00:25

I use this every time for wristbands, exactly like this. It comes in different widths.

lucysmam Thu 30-Oct-14 13:24:41

I did it. Will definitely be investing in some myself.

Is it a fairly recent thing? I haven't made anything in ten ish years & don't recall seeing it all that time ago.

NineteenForever Fri 31-Oct-14 16:16:06

No, not recent, I used it for my o level in 1987. I'm similarly getting back into dressmaking after a 13 year gap. I'm a different size now of course...!

Monathevampire1 Fri 31-Oct-14 17:16:25

Its Vilene Waistshaper. You iron on to the waistband with a dry iron, the perforations allow really sharp pressing for a good clean fold.

Apply the interface then when you apply the band to the skirt body use the first perforations as a stitch guide. Fold in half and press, then turn in and press the last small fold and finish your waistband.

lucysmam Sat 01-Nov-14 08:42:37

hmmm, wonder how I didn't know it existed then! Our teacher made us use normal interfacing for waists confused

I'm off to buy some more today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now