Talk

Advanced search

What type of sewing machine is good for making roman blinds please?

(9 Posts)
Fluffycloudland77 Sun 19-Oct-14 16:28:58

I've seen a basic one in John Lewis for £99 but I don't want to just buy the first one that I can afford.

I have 15 windows that need blinds <wibble>.

sooperdooper Sun 19-Oct-14 16:32:59

I don't think roman blinds need a specific machine. What make was the one you saw? I've got a Brother machine, had it for ages and really like it smile

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 19-Oct-14 16:39:11

www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-jl110-sewing-machine/p317685?colour=White

This one?. Did I mention I was 7 when I last tried to sew anything? I really wish they had taught sewing in home ed, it would save people loads.

mejon Sun 19-Oct-14 16:44:53

I'm not much of a sew-er, but I've made several roman blinds using a bog standard machine. The first few ones were made using my mother's ancient Singer (one of the old black ones with the transfers on the side) and most recently I made one with a blackout lining on a pretty basic but more modern one.

RaisingSteam Thu 23-Oct-14 23:00:49

You only need a basic machine , I think the one linked would do, but ask them in the shop can it cope with the thicknesses.
You can do Roman blinds with a combination of hand and machine sewing but stitching the Velcro can be a bit bulky if your fabric is thick.
If you have a lot of Roman blinds I recommend this book, it has very detailed step-by-step instructions for several variations.

lurkerspeaks Wed 29-Oct-14 18:11:29

You just need a basic machine for roman blinds assuming it can handle the weight of the fabric.

Second hand machines can be a good deal or look at sewing machines direct. Thier own brand machines are Janome.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 29-Oct-14 18:27:22

The books available in my library. Have lost my card though, it will turn up.

I want to sew a layer of sanderson damask (lymington), a layer of bump interlining and a white lining.

That's going to be quite thick isn't it?.

scurryfunge Wed 29-Oct-14 18:30:33

My Toyota Superjeans handles thick fabric well.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 01-Nov-14 11:20:21

I think the superjeans might be the one for me, it's not too complicated and it should be easy to work.

I just waiting for the book to be transferred to my libary so I can read up on it.

I need money too!.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now