Advanced search

can't understand the pattern decreases

(9 Posts)
Mercedes Thu 03-Apr-14 23:24:22

I'm on a decrease row halfway through my jumper and it's not decreasing; I end up with the same number of stitches.

I start with 30 and should end with 28.

The pattern is;

Slip 1st 2 stitches onto r/h needle tip, k1, (K3tog, K3, yo, K1, yo, K4, yo, S2K1P, yo, K4, yo, K1, yo, K3, SL1, K1, K2tog, psso, K1)

Tas far as I can work out there are an extra 6 stitches with yo but I get rid of 6 with the 2 togethers etc. where is the decrease?

experienced knitters please advise.

MinniesMate Fri 04-Apr-14 07:27:17

There is a double decrease in the middle of the brackets - S2K1P.

Slip 2 stitches together onto right hand needle. Knit 1, then pass both slipped stitches over the knitted stitch, so you have decreased 2 stitches.

Hope that makes sense!

Mercedes Fri 04-Apr-14 20:40:50

Hi Minnie mate

There are 3 double decreases in all but there is also 6 yo which evens it out. I can't see where I lose 2 stitches. Help

MinniesMate Sat 05-Apr-14 08:42:36

Went through it again, I wonder if the k3 in the second part of the pattern should be k3tog?

Mercedes Sat 05-Apr-14 13:29:15

The pattern is lacey so the knit 3 or 4s mirror each other.

With my mum's help over the phone I've worked out that at end from SL1 - paso is only 1 stitch. If I do this I will be left with 29 so only have to find 1 more to decrease which has to be at start or end of pattern.

What I find strange is initial instruction to slip 2 stitches onto r/hand need tip - why tip as opposed to the normal slipping instructions?

My mum suggested TIP is slip 2 on r/h needle twist put back on l/hand needle and and then purl. Does this sound right? It is the only place in pattern were this instruction appears.

As I'm knitting in round I am loath to go ahead without knowing what to do as ripping out will be too much so I am still looking for words of wisdom

Flossyfloof Sat 05-Apr-14 13:57:09

Mercedes have you got a list of abbreviations used in the pattern? I was wondering what happens to the two stitches you slip at the beginning? Any linky to the pattern? It is hard to imagine from just one section.

Flossyfloof Sat 05-Apr-14 13:58:14

It is also not easy to grasp if you haven't got such a list, with such a complex pattern!

Mercedes Sat 05-Apr-14 14:11:55

I looked at the abbreviations and it's not useful. I'm out and about I will do a link when I get home.

I haven't knitted 4 10 years and then jump in to the deep end!

Mercedes Sat 05-Apr-14 14:59:11

I just searched for a link - see below - and it says there is a mistake in the Knitting magazine pattern as opted to LH book!!!

looks like I will have to visit JL to sort this out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now