Talk

Advanced search

Overlocker for a beginner!

(4 Posts)
MinniesMate Sat 29-Mar-14 15:41:27

Does anyone have any experience in using an overlocker/serger?

Some makes have a reputation for being difficult to thread so I am looking for one that is as user friendly as possible!

So, any recommendations?

Halsall Sat 29-Mar-14 19:41:13

I got a Singer from Lidl recently, a bargain at £149. It's great and I'm very pleasantly surprised (I admit, I was afraid).

I actually managed to thread it successfully first time, going very slowly with the booklet in front of me and a Youtube video. Nobody could have been more surprised when it worked.

So my advice would be not to feel too intimidated. Do you have a John Lewis with a haberdashery anywhere nearby? They're good for giving advice - they'd show you how to thread an overlocker and help demystify it.

RavenRose Sat 29-Mar-14 19:45:42

I have a Toyota from Tescos. It's dead easy to thread, just work from left to right and follow the coloured dots. It's all color coded so you can't really go wrong.

I've had it about 5 years now. It's been hammered but still works like new!

MinniesMate Sat 29-Mar-14 20:43:43

Thank you both for that information.

It was the threading that was worrying me the most!

I'll have a look at both those makes. Hadn't thought of a trip to John Lewis to see them in the flesh.

What a shame there are so few local sewing machine shops left!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now