Talk

Advanced search

How do you mark then cut your sewing fabric?

(6 Posts)
Tansie Sun 23-Mar-14 19:44:59

I have always been a pins and scissors girl, now and then even laboriously transferring the bought pattern to 'butchers' paper (like unprinted newspaper) then using that to pin and cut.

I am wondering whether to go for a different method, like using weights to hold the pattern down (tins?), dressmakers carbon paper and a notched wheel to trace the pattern onto the fabric and a rotary blade and cutting mat to actually do the cutting.

What do you do? Pros and cons?

CorrieDale Sun 23-Mar-14 19:49:48

I always use a rotary cutter. It's fab for difficult fabrics. But you need a big cutting board - for adult trousers, say, there is too much moving the pattern around to get an accurate cut. I mostly make children's clothes and it's perfect for that.

RavenRose Mon 24-Mar-14 16:03:08

I always use weights. We live near a beach and the dds have picked up pretty flat pebbles for me - lots of different sizes and weights. I cut my own patterns mostly so nothing is on tissue appear and the pebbles work better with the thicker paper. Once weighted I draw round with a chalk pencil. Then use carbon and a tracing wheel to mark darts etc.

Tailors shears for cutting as I can't get on with a rotary cutter.

nevergoogle Mon 24-Mar-14 16:09:02

pins and dressmaking shears. have a rotary cutter for smaller bits.

I mark using contrasting thread for tailor tacks (?)

but i usually hack the patterns up as i only make grown up stuff for me anyway.

RueDeWakening Mon 24-Mar-14 19:54:38

Varies depending on the fabric, but I always weight rather than pin. Usually weight with my quilting ruler and rotary cut - possibly because I generally use pdf patterns that I've printed, taped and cut myself.

Occasionally I use water soluble marker to draw round the pattern if it's very fiddly, then use shears to cut.

Tansie Tue 25-Mar-14 13:53:02

Thanks, all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now