Talk

Advanced search

Boys tailored shirt sewing pattern

(20 Posts)
difficultpickle Sat 22-Mar-14 13:45:02

I'm keen to have a go at making ds some shirts like this however I'm struggling to find a pattern. I've looked at Simplicity etc but lots of them seem to be for little boys or men. Ds is 9 but wears age 12 clothes.

Trumpton Sat 22-Mar-14 14:02:08

Men's shirt but starts at 34 inch chest

difficultpickle Sat 22-Mar-14 14:56:17

That's perfect Trumpton but just too big (and I'm too inexperienced to know how to make it smaller!).

Orangeanddemons Sat 22-Mar-14 15:01:31

Making it smaller would be tricky. Are you an experienced sewer, as I think shirts can be quite difficult to make?

difficultpickle Sat 22-Mar-14 15:06:12

Not experienced at all but I'm patient and keen to have a go. I made a shirt at school about 35 years ago!!

Trumpton Sat 22-Mar-14 15:14:19

Burda ?

Trumpton Sat 22-Mar-14 15:15:45

On a roll here !

difficultpickle Sat 22-Mar-14 15:24:19

The Burda one looks great. Are Burda patterns easy to work with?

Trumpton Sat 22-Mar-14 15:34:43

The old style Burdas were tricky as they did not include the seam allowance but these are great.

Chocolateteabag Sun 23-Mar-14 07:57:21

I am currently battling with an old version of the Burda pattern to make Ds a shirt out of an old one of DH's
I'm doing a test one in a crappy shirt first but hoping to make some in DH's lovely Lewins/Pink/boden shirts where the collar has gone but the rest of the shirt is fine.

Am also lazy so trying to incorporate the button plackets of the original shirts

difficultpickle Sun 23-Mar-14 09:11:11

That sounds like a good idea. I'm going to have a go with the Burda pattern and some cheap fabric and see how I do before I spend money on something nice! I'm amazed at how most of the patterns I've looked at are so old fashioned. I like the Boden style I linked and I'm surprised at how hard it is to find a pattern to match that.

mimiasovitch Sun 23-Mar-14 09:40:59

Have you seen Oliver and S patterns? this goes up to a 12.

difficultpickle Sun 23-Mar-14 14:16:52

The Oliver and S website looks great but I'm not sure my sewing ability is worth paying $25 for a pattern (including shipping)!

mimiasovitch Sun 23-Mar-14 14:36:09

I guess they're not cheap. You do get the shorts pattern too, and they are available for download. I've never used them myself though, so I can't comment on usability.

difficultpickle Mon 24-Mar-14 20:51:43

After much searching I find this which has a smaller size for the man's shirt and should be the right size for ds (looking at the Boden sizing).

Trumpton Tue 25-Mar-14 09:32:01

Well done you ! A great price !

difficultpickle Tue 25-Mar-14 14:24:34

I'm going to get ds to choose the material this week and have a go at making it. Hopefully it will be as easy as it looks and I'll be making him dozens of shirts. Or it could be the same as when my mum decided to knit me a jumper for the start of university. 30 years on I'm still waiting for it to be finished grin

RueDeWakening Tue 25-Mar-14 21:28:31

The Peekaboo Pattern shop has a boys Oxford shirt, up to (I think) age 12. The patterns are PDF so you download & print them once you buy them, tape the pages together and cut out the pieces.

Chocolateteabag Thu 27-Mar-14 21:26:07

Hi OP
myfabrics.co.uk has the biggest selection of cotton fabric I've found so far and the check I've linked to is similar to your first link.
Have been distracted from the shirt by making ds1 a dinosaur tail and ds2 a frog babygro for a party we have coming up

difficultpickle Fri 28-Mar-14 09:47:44

Chocolate thank you for the link, lots of lovely fabrics to choose from there. I'm taking ds on a sewing course on Sunday so I will also have a look at our local shop which is always going on about how many amazing fabrics they have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now