Talk

Advanced search

Great British Sewing Bee patterns in The Telegraph - I'm a complete novice to sewing with a pattern

(27 Posts)
stoptalkingmoredoing Sat 22-Mar-14 08:01:20

After making DDs world book day costume on the sewing machine I have decided I would , like to learn to sew using a pattern. DH has come home with The Daily Telegraph which has The Great British Sewing Bee booklet in it and it has a tunic in the booklet which I think I could make and it would be a great beach cover up if I made it in a light cotton rather than silky material and there would be no slipping!

The patterns are in the end of the booklet and it says to enlarge by 500%.

Can I just take them to staples or a photocopy place and get them to do it? Is it really that simple?

I'll come back to my post in at lunchtime because I've got to take DD to swimming and dancing lessons, so don't think I'm ignoring any answers.

TIA

yegodsandlittlefishes Sat 22-Mar-14 08:11:22

How big is the booklet? x500 is a very big invrease, so I doubt Staples or anywhere would have a photocopier big enough. So, if I'm right, you could ask them to make a x10 enlargement and then cut that up into neat pieces, which would each need to be enlarged x50. Then you can cut/fold some of the borders and selotape the full size copies together to make your pattern the correct size.

MirandaWest Sat 22-Mar-14 08:13:51

X 500 sounds a massive increase - is it a really tiny pattern? 1cm in the booklet would be equivalent to 5m which would be a very big outfit. Is it maybe x50?

MirandaWest Sat 22-Mar-14 08:15:41

blushblush.

Have just read properly. 500% would mean you need to multiply it by 5x. 100% would be 1x ie same size etc.

I am mathematically trained, honestly blush

yegodsandlittlefishes Sat 22-Mar-14 08:27:55

Sorry! blush

I was wondering if the Telegraph was making a pattern for giants. I will use the excuse of the meds not kicking in for the morning yet and being on my phone and it not scrolling properly. blush

So yes, you can just ask Staples for x5 enlargement.

InvaderZim Sat 22-Mar-14 08:39:36

There are also full size printable versions of the patterns here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/promotions/10712274/patterns-sewing-projects.html

OwlCapone Sat 22-Mar-14 12:59:06

It would probably cost you more in ink and paper to print them yourself though, especially any of the bigger projects.

stoptalkingmoredoing Sat 22-Mar-14 13:11:00

Thanks everyone. I'm going to get it printed and have a go making it. I thought it would be good project because if my seams turn out a bit dodgy it won't matter so much because I'll only be wearing it on the beach.

stoptalkingmoredoing Sat 22-Mar-14 13:15:03

Thanks everyone. I'm going to get it printed and have a go making it. I thought it would be good project because if my seams turn out a bit dodgy it won't matter so much because I'll only be wearing it on the beach.

cate16 Sat 22-Mar-14 13:38:18

I've printed off patterns at home easily enough - it doesn't take much ink at all. In all honesty probably cheaper than Staples etc when you take into account petrol + time, and how much they charge per sheet.

nevergoogle Sat 22-Mar-14 13:42:08

i email downloaded patterns to the local print shop then collect later.

although tbh i much prefer a proper pattern in the right size. they are not that expensive.

stoptalkingmoredoing Sat 22-Mar-14 13:52:31

I've got another question. I've read the booklet in more detail and it does say you just take the pattern yo yhe printers and have it enlarged ir print them off and tape the bits together.

Anyway, in the magazine booklet thing it says the sizing for the patterns can be found on the telegraph website, but ive looked and I can't see it anywhere.

Therefore, if I print off the pattern and stick it together and then measure myself and quarter, that should give me the correct quarter size for the pattern should it not? The tunic is basically 4 lengths stitched together.

yegodsandlittlefishes Sat 22-Mar-14 14:32:59

Not quite. You need to add a bit for comfort of fit. How much you add depends on your size, whether you will be wearing other layers underneath (and how thick) and how loose you want it. You'd be better off measuring a similar garmwnt that fits you.

JenniMoo Sat 22-Mar-14 14:42:37

I've been looking for a pattern to try, probably for a skirt. Do you have to buy the paper to get the instructions? It says the first 4 are online only but I can't find any instructions.

OwlCapone Sat 22-Mar-14 14:47:39

The online ones are here

JenniMoo Sat 22-Mar-14 14:50:06

Thank you owlcapone.

OwlCapone Sat 22-Mar-14 15:00:34

It took me ages to find it after I read there were online only ones. I enojednreading the other articles on the page too smile

My parents are saving the booklets for me. I'm happy to send them onto someone when I've finished looking at them as I doubt I'll actually use them. Won't get them for a few weeks though.

stoptalkingmoredoing Sat 22-Mar-14 15:10:20

Thank yego I have got one beach cover up that I can measure against. Worst come to the worst I'll just make it against the largest size because it won't matter if its too big and floaty.

JenniMoo Sat 22-Mar-14 15:43:37

I'd love the skirt instructions.

mummybare Sat 22-Mar-14 15:53:41

Just a quick point re fabric: 'floaty' and silky fabrics can be hard to work with as they slip about while you're trying to sew them, so lightweight cotton might be easier. Just a thought. Good luck smile

stoptalkingmoredoing Sat 22-Mar-14 18:40:32

Yes I was thinking of a lightweight cotton for that very reason.

stoptalkingmoredoing Sun 23-Mar-14 11:13:38

jennymoo I can scan you the instructions and message / email you.

JenniMoo Sun 23-Mar-14 11:58:22

That would be amazing if you can! I'll inbox you my email smile

JenniMoo Sun 23-Mar-14 16:44:45

Than you stoptalking, and good luck with the tunic.

stoptalkingmoredoing Sun 23-Mar-14 16:54:21

I've been to buy my cloth. I got a cotton broderie anglais. I was going to try and get some thin cotton/linen material, but they didn't have any. I also got a remnant of thick twill that i'm going to make into a simple tote bag. I can do square shaped things really well, so at least I'll feel some achievement.

When I went to pay, the manager gave DD (5) a bundle of scraps that they normally sell for £7.99 for free. DD is now busy drawing on the cloth with the tailors chalk and measuring with the ruler and asking me to cut 'with the very scarp scissors', which are my cloth scissors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now