Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sewing machine recommendations

(15 Posts)
gastrognome Sat 22-Mar-14 06:43:32

Hello,
I have a big Bernina sewing machine that I've had for years. It was a reconditioned model and has never worked properly. Had it repaired at great expense last year but it's stopped working again.

So I need to replace it. I have realised that though I use it regularly these days it's really just for repairs, hemming, etc. Hardly ever do anything fancy.

I don't have a massive budget (up to £300 at a push) but would like to get a fairly compact but sturdy machine that will cover the basics. Does anybody have any recommendations? I need something that will last well.

Thanks!

atomicyoghurt Sat 22-Mar-14 06:55:54

Don't get the Toshiba EZone. I got that thinking it would be great but it's too fancy for its own good. The mechanics are too plastic to work well.

Sorry that's not. Much help.

I've always thought Berninas were the best but it sounds like you've had a bad run with this one.

Jenijena Sat 22-Mar-14 07:02:42

On recommendation from a more experienced sewer, I bought one from sewing machines direct (online), it was marketing as own brand but is a frister and rossman. I spent about £150 and have been impressed by it (but I'm not hugely experienced). Good customer service too.

SunnyL Sat 22-Mar-14 07:13:34

£300 is a massive budget if all you want to do is a bit of hemming. I'm just selling my Elna Explore 220 - it was £150 a couple of years ago and is a great entry level machine. I've just upgraded to a Brother v62 which is computerised and is amaaaaaazing. But it was £250 and sounds totally over the top for what you need.

The John lewis website is good as it allows you to compare between machines.

gastrognome Sat 22-Mar-14 07:17:38

Had no idea my budget was big! Suppose it's because of the relative cost of the Bernina (it cost £250 just to get it repaired!). My mum is a serious sewer and always had very high end machines, so I suppose I may have lost sight of reality...!

gastrognome Sat 22-Mar-14 07:18:29

Should say I'd be very happy to spend less :-)

RavenRose Sat 22-Mar-14 08:00:34

I have a brother Innovis 10a and would recommend it. It's about £249, has about 16 different stitches including a couple of buttonholes. It's well built and stitches anything from chiffon to canvas.

pancakedayiscoming Sun 23-Mar-14 14:52:25

There are two threads I can post this on so apologies in advance for the repetition. It seems to me that sewing machines come in "basic", "more stich options", "computerised". I clearly know nothing. Correct me!

ListenToTheLady Sun 23-Mar-14 14:59:08

Second the Brother Innovis10a, I got one of these on promotion a few years ago when I upgraded, and it blew my mind! (admittedly I had been using an old 60s machine and things have come on a lot...) It is a good combination of a basic, workhorse machine with lots of useful design details and features and great quality. It may be a little more advanced than you need but in a good way - it makes life easier and is nice to use. Mine was c.200, you should be able to get it for less than £250.

gastrognome Sun 23-Mar-14 20:19:39

Thank you. I'll check out the Brother model, which sounds great.

frenchfancy Thu 27-Mar-14 06:57:12

I may also be on the market for a new machine. Mine is being repaired but they said there are things wrong with it they can't repair and are trying to get me to spend 600€ to replace it. shock

So I've done a bit of research and looked around and I'm eyeing up this Janome It is the brand they use on the sewing bee. Anyone have any experience? I really don't want a computerised one.

itsmeitscathy Sat 29-Mar-14 11:56:41

That's the same as my machine (the janome) and I love it. Had a lidl machine first which was totally fine for hemming etc but I really notice the difference with my new oné grin

itsmeitscathy Sat 29-Mar-14 13:25:17

Also French, I wouldn't say it's for a complete beginner (not that I think you are, just in case you're planning to use it to teach anyone how to sew!) as it's quite fast- takes a bit of getting used to. Other than that it's great for me, I've just finished a massive quilt on it and it didn't struggle with 4 layers (or the 6 when I accidentally sewed it into the tablecloths....)

costsofemployment Sat 29-Mar-14 13:26:13

Check out sewing machines direct.

Their own branded machines are good value

frenchfancy Sun 30-Mar-14 17:35:30

Thanks itsmeitskathy . I'm not a beginner I've been sewing on and off for 28 years shock but I am teaching DDI to sew so it is something to bear in mind.

In all those years I've never actually bought myself a machine. My current singer was bought for me 18 years ago by DH as a surprise so I didn't choose it. If the repair works then it may last a few more years (but part of me is hoping the repair isn't possible so I get a shiny new one)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now