Talk

Advanced search

Please explain this stitch pattern or I'm stuck on first row

(9 Posts)
Mercedes Sat 15-Mar-14 23:08:05

I'm sure this is easy but its got me stuck.

The instructions are;

K12, K3TOG,[yO,KI]TWICE,

what am I knitting twice? the YO,K1 or K3 etc or the whole thing

If it helps the pattern repeats over 36 stitches as follows;

K12, K3TOG,[YO,KI]twice,yo, S2K1P,yo, [K1,yo] twice, SL1, K1, K2TOG, peso, K11, SLM x 6times

Help greatly appreciated.

CharCharGabor Sat 15-Mar-14 23:11:20

I'm no expert, although I do knit quite a bit. I'd I was following that pattern I would do the stitches in the square brackets twice.

CharCharGabor Sat 15-Mar-14 23:11:41

Grrrr, that should be if.

80sMum Sat 15-Mar-14 23:11:47

I read that as doing the YO, K1 twice.

80sMum Sat 15-Mar-14 23:13:21

The reason is you are losing 2 (on the K3tog) then making them up again (on the YO, K1 twice).

Mercedes Sat 15-Mar-14 23:20:38

That's what I thought but then I started second guessing myself.

Thank you for so many responses at 11pm. It's been really helpful although I've decided its not sensible to start the jumper as I'm tired. Will get on in daylight.

80sMum Sat 15-Mar-14 23:38:13

Happy knitting OP! I hope it turns out well. It sounds like it has nice lacy panels running through it.

Dutchoma Sun 16-Mar-14 12:33:32

As this is a 36 pattern repeat I would put stitch markers in after every 36 stitches and count every time you have done a repeat. Unpick immediately if there are fewer or more stitches. Just take a 2" piece of thread in a contrasting colour and lay it into your knitting back to front. In the next pattern row you pick up the bit that's at the back and lay it to the front. Of course you should have that marker at the same place in every row.

MiaowTheCat Sun 16-Mar-14 13:55:31

I don't knit but from a crochet perspective I'd be expecting to repeat the bit in the brackets the stated number of times (or between asterisks or whatever other strange way they've decided to throw in just to confuddle me that day).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now