Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Alternative to rice?

(7 Posts)
JemimaPuddleduffed Sat 15-Mar-14 18:51:01

I'd like to make beanie baby type toys, so needs to have some weight to them, rather than just light stuffing, but I would like them to be washable.

I've seen plastic pellets, but they have the usual warning about under 3s. Is there anything else? Safe for kids and washable?

TIA

addictedtosugar Sat 15-Mar-14 18:55:38

I would think rice and split peas (which was going to be my suggestion before I read washable) would both have the same issue as a hazard for little people should the toy split.
I suspect anything for under 3's will be big enough they can't choke on it.

Could you weight the ends of the limbs with something big (like a ball) and soft stuff the middle? I know its not the effect your after.

JemimaPuddleduffed Sun 16-Mar-14 20:26:23

Hmm, will have another think. Thanks anyway :-)

franksleftfoot Mon 17-Mar-14 12:00:00

what about using standard toy stuffing for the main but something like wadding for the end of the limbs? If it's packed in tightly it'll have some weight to it?

OwlCapone Tue 18-Mar-14 11:05:13

I've used cheap ikea Hama beads, stitched really securely into a bag which then goes into the toy.

JemimaPuddleduffed Tue 18-Mar-14 18:48:32

Oh good idea OwlCapone (love the name btw)

Thanks.

ComfyLeatherChair Tue 25-Mar-14 07:13:07

Apparently, but I haven't tried this, tights or knee highs make a good inner bag for your filling...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now