Talk

Advanced search

Are bath bombs easy to make?

(16 Posts)
BigBirthdayGloom Thu 13-Mar-14 19:45:01

Tried making melt and pour soap a couple of weeks ago and it was really disappointing despit the instructions making it sound like a doddle. Has anyone made bath bombs? I really fancy making them, have all the ingredients, have dried orange slices to decorate and everything. But I don't want to risk it if it is another one that's not as straightforward as my craft mag would have me believe!

ghostinthecanvas Thu 13-Mar-14 19:50:05

I make them. No they are not totally straightforward. I taught classes though and never had a failure. In your recipe do you spray your mix with witchhazel? As you are mixing you will feel a change in temp. It goes cool. Put in moulds at that point. If it starts fizzing when you add fragrance lift out the wet gloop fast. Add more fragrance. Mix quickly. They are fun to do.

BigBirthdayGloom Thu 13-Mar-14 19:52:43

Don't think it mentions witch hazel. What's it for? I don't mind non straightforward things, just things that promise more than they deliver!

ghostinthecanvas Thu 13-Mar-14 19:57:42

I put all my dry ingredients in the bowl. Fragrance then spritz with witchhazel. I think you can also use....um..senior moment. .. the alcohol you buy at the chemist. It binds the mix together. What magazine is your recipe in? I am just going to tesco. I will have a look.

ghostinthecanvas Thu 13-Mar-14 20:09:49

The mags are all in plastic bags shock I haven't bought any for a long time. It would be good to be able to flick through. Not have all the 'freebies'

OddFodd Thu 13-Mar-14 20:16:37

I've made them with DS - we use old jelly pots to make them in and vanilla essence to scent them with. Never used witchhazel. I got a recipe online somewhere - I can find it for you if you like but they really are fairly idiot-proof (am not v crafty - this just came up in active convos)

BigBirthdayGloom Thu 13-Mar-14 22:45:29

Thanks for the tips, ghost and odd. Was looking for a third scent and looking to avoid another costly essential oil so vanilla would be perfect. Just the kind you use for biscuits? And do you use the expensive kind or cheaper? Will get some witch hazel. I read that it hardens them up. Quite excited now. Have orange slices dried for top of orange ones and lavender flowers for the lavender ones.

BigBirthdayGloom Thu 13-Mar-14 22:46:40

If its any comfort, ghost, it was in last months woman's weekly crafts. I am not going to buy any more craft magazines this month

ghostinthecanvas Thu 13-Mar-14 23:14:07

smile I used to be addicted to craft mags. Remember if you put loads of herbs in your bath bomb, you need to clean the bath wink
Let us know how you get on.

BigBirthdayGloom Thu 13-Mar-14 23:21:33

Please tell me how you cured your addiction!! I think it might get better as my children are getting bigger and I am getting more time and energy to actually do some crafts. The mags are a bit of a substitute! I keep telling myself its a fairly harmless addiction as far as my health is concerned. As for the wallet...

ghostinthecanvas Thu 13-Mar-14 23:29:55

Its the money. I realised I could buy craft books for the same money. They are even more expensive now. I really was a bit shocked tonight at the prices! I used to buy home magazines too. Oooft, they were a huge pile to get rid of. That stayed with me, throwing money out. Crafts are fun though and I made a living out of them for over 10 years.

ghostinthecanvas Thu 13-Mar-14 23:32:00

These days you can go on great sites for recipes, crafts etc. For free.
A great place to start is The Soap Kichen. They have recipes and kits too.

ghostinthecanvas Sat 15-Mar-14 10:13:06

Have you made them yet?

ghostinthecanvas Sat 15-Mar-14 10:14:38

Posted too soon. Hope it was fun if you did!

BigBirthdayGloom Sat 15-Mar-14 10:52:46

Not yet-one evening next week! Looking forward to it

BigBirthdayGloom Sun 23-Mar-14 02:15:51

Made them! They worked a treat and were very straightforward. Also, they needed nothing like the amount of essential oils suggested-the first batch we made made us choke from the intensity of lavender. And also, just in case you're going to make them, pretty much anything works as a mould but it has to have some give. Couldn't release them from ramekins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now