Talk

Advanced search

Curtain fabric buying advice please.

(8 Posts)
FancySpaceGloves Wed 12-Mar-14 10:38:01

I'm looking for curtain fabric.

Ideally it would be lightweight with a bold pattern containing some strong primrose yellow and/or tangerine orange in the pattern.

The walls in the room are plain grey-blue.

I like the mid-century modern look.

I have no idea where to buy fabric. I live in Bucks - can easily get into London. I can't afford anything stupidly expensive as I've got lots of curtains to make (it's a big open plan kitchen-diner-family room).

Got any advice of where to find something suitable?

crockydoodle Wed 12-Mar-14 16:36:26

How about ikea?

Oldraver Wed 12-Mar-14 21:30:11

Where in Bucks do you live (west/east). There is a good shop in Kidlington that sells fabric.

Marraskuu Wed 12-Mar-14 22:45:43

Ikea Milton Keynes? You can see some of the fabric designs online but can only buy in-store. For modern and economical, it's the best I've found. Clothkits online is fun. The Kidlington store mentioned above is called Freelance Fabrics and is good. Have you tried Goldhawk Road in London? Must be about 15 fabric shops all in a row, but might be too dress-making-y for you. You can usually negotiate a discount for bulk! There also used to be a decent fabric shop in Marlow, not sure if it's still there.

FancySpaceGloves Thu 13-Mar-14 10:49:09

That's brilliant advice. Thanks a million.

I'll be visiting Ikea, Freelance Fabrics and Goldhawk Road.

SewCrafty Thu 13-Mar-14 19:32:20

I live in South Bucks. John Lewis have stacks, obviously with quite a few rolls regularly on sale at half price.

There's also Fabric Warehouse in Uxbridge. Haven't been but keep meaning to.

MrsExtraOrdinary Fri 14-Mar-14 22:33:42

Online sellers will do you a discount on large amounts. By the sounds of it you're going to need a lot so worth asking. Cotton prints will be the cheapest by far. Prestigious textiles are a good British brand, based in Yorkshire, but plenty of online sellers supply. Same fabric you'd find in brewers or John Lewis c&h fabrics, but vastly cheaper as no high street overheads. Check testimonials and feedback. eBay is also a good source.

KatharineClifton Sat 15-Mar-14 13:09:22

Something to note, you can buy fire-retardant spray online anywhere or from a sewing shop. Makes the curtains much safer if you are buying fabric that isn't already treated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now