Talk

Advanced search

Photographs of stuff you make

(4 Posts)
IDugUpADiamond Fri 07-Mar-14 15:22:40

My photos are pants. Just rubbish. How do people make lovely photos of their knitted/crafted items for websites such as Pinterest. I mean, is everyone a budding photographer in addition to being a crafter???

GemmaTeller Fri 07-Mar-14 17:03:22

I take my photos in daylight and avoid using the flash, I use the macro button on my camera, this stops blur and increases sharpness on close up shots, then I run them through Picasa to sharpen up the highlights and lowlights.

I often have to wait for a bright or sunny day to take my new photos or retake some old ones.

We have the sun on the front of the house during the day and I find the windowsills there are the best place to take photos.

Heres an example (which is by no means perfect to some peoples standards smile )

574ejones Sat 08-Mar-14 10:02:38

Use a white background, and learn to use the white balance on your camera. I generally take about ten shots per item for experimentation. I use Picasa too as you can alter the light and the tone.

Practice until you get something you like and don't be afraid to edit.

Flossyfloof Sun 09-Mar-14 11:32:51

Etsy have tutorials about stuff like this, I think. My photography is rubbish as well. I haven't got the patience to do much with my stuff and I don't have an eye for that kind of thing either. If I tried to take a pic like Gemma't it would just look like a pile of old tut instead of a beautifully composed picture of something you want to buy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now