Talk

Advanced search

How to sell my stuff.

(19 Posts)
BrightNewBeginnng Fri 07-Mar-14 13:01:43

I posted this in Chat but someone pointed me in this direction for some 'been there done that' advice.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2018255-How-do-I-approach-a-shop-to-see-if-theyll-sell-my-stuff-please?msgid=45577578#45577578

All suggestions gratefully received smile

BitsinTatters Fri 07-Mar-14 13:07:02

Are you on face book?

Some people sell their things on Facebook pages. One mumsnetter in particular I remember made keepsake bears (chocolate & ginger keepsake bears) on Facebook. I ordered from her!

BrightNewBeginnng Fri 07-Mar-14 15:31:19

I'm very much a Facebook beginner.
20 friends and I don't really know how Facebook works tbh blush

I'll have a look at it though - thanks. smile

574ejones Sat 08-Mar-14 10:07:55

Have a look at sites such as Folksy - which is for UK makers. Their fees are reasonable. If you are selling online though, you need to be prepared to promote your products, so you may find you will also need a Facebook page too.

Chocolateteabag Sun 09-Mar-14 11:24:24

My mum used to have a craft shop and often had people coming in with things they had made.

She would usually charge 30-50% commission depending on the size of the things. She only ever did sale or return, and if things hadn't gone in 2-3 months she would call people to ask them to take them back.

You have to be prepared to trial your things and also for stock to "walk" or get damaged. Do you have a display stand, how often will you come in to check, replenish, remove? Make sure you listen to the shop owner as they tend to know what their customers look for/buy.
If they aren't keen to stock your stuff, don't be put off, just be glad you aren't wasting your time with stock sitting unsold and therefore costing you money.

OiVaVoi Sun 09-Mar-14 11:37:50

I am on Etsy which is the US version of Folksy -much bigger and lots of support and tips from the community.

BrightNewBeginnng Sun 09-Mar-14 13:18:58

Thanks for that info. I'm making a list of all the websites I need to look at and that's really useful insider knowledge Chocolateteabag

I'm really at the very beginning of all this. I don't have stock as such, just stuff I've made for myself that got me thinking about starting up. I had a thanks but no thanks email from our local gift shop but there we go. She said she liked it but isn't looking to stock it and I can kind of see why, space wise.

I'm coming around to the idea that it's best to do craft fair and online stuff anyway - at least to start with.

Chocolateteabag Sun 09-Mar-14 16:11:38

One of my friends has just started making lampshades and cushions. Commission stuff to begin with over the past two months - she has a stand on the Living North fair in a couple of weeks and is now stocking up. It's risky to make that jump to pay out for materials on spec, but you also need to see how your stuff is received.

You could try smaller fairs first but be wary of the costs to have a stand. You don't want to pay upfront and then have a wasted day/evening if no one turns up or it's the wrong type of fair. Better to go to a few and speak to some of th stall holders.

OiVaVoi Sun 09-Mar-14 17:41:03

Is there anywhere here on MN where people can share websites etc? I would quite like to get some impartial constructive criticism but wary of looking like I am advertising...

confuddledDOTcom Mon 10-Mar-14 12:25:58

You've always got here or you could try your local site.

OiVaVoi Mon 10-Mar-14 22:12:23

do you mean the Arts and Crafts board confuddled? I assumed I would get bollocked told off if I linked to my site

mrscumberbatch Mon 10-Mar-14 22:15:58

Why don't you post pictures of what you've made on your profile and then people can tell you what they'd be willing to pay and where they'd go to buy your items?

confuddledDOTcom Tue 11-Mar-14 13:20:31

If you're just asking opinions I don't see why you should.

BrightNewBeginnng Fri 21-Mar-14 14:09:14

Oooooo!!!

Very excited!

I was in my local deli/cafe this morning and noticed a staff member cutting some old and tired-looking seatpads off the chairs. I emailed pics of mine and they emailed me back.

I sent quotes for 32, personalised for their cafe!

Fingers crossed that they liked the prices.

I'm so excited. And a bit scared. grin

SauceForTheGander Fri 21-Mar-14 14:10:29

Also mumsnet local has an artisans section - you can list for free

BrightNewBeginnng Fri 21-Mar-14 15:15:17

Thanks Sauce I will.

ShadowOfTheDay Sat 22-Mar-14 09:09:52

remember to involve the tax man... at the first opportunity

BrightNewBeginnng Sat 22-Mar-14 10:57:45

I will be doing that on Monday thanks. I had a look at their website and I found it confusing so I'm going to try to speak to a real person

KringleCandleLover Sat 22-Mar-14 11:03:06

Try stallfinder.com for your local craft fayres and markets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now