Talk

Advanced search

Knit fabric - I want to see a skirt onto DDs old tshirt...

(5 Posts)
JenniMoo Thu 06-Mar-14 08:58:53

I'm fairly confident at sewing but my one attempt with something stretchy was a disaster. Inspired my the sewing bee and DDs too short tshirts I really fancy trying to turn them into dresses. I've seen some tutorials where you use non stretch fabric but was hoping I could reuse either a dress of hers or a tshirt of mine / DHs.

So will a zig zag work to join them, or is a double needle necessary? I'm not sure if I have one but probably do, just a little scared!

mimiasovitch Thu 06-Mar-14 09:06:45

A zig zag stitch should be fine - narrow width, medium length. I use 1.5/ when sewing knits. Make sure you use a ballpoint needle though, rather than a sharp. There should be lots of tutorials online. I've been meaning to try this one for a while.

JenniMoo Thu 06-Mar-14 09:14:14

That's a lovely dress! I shall get hold of the right needle and give it a go then.

InvaderZim Thu 06-Mar-14 09:19:30

Have a look at your machine and see if it has a lightning bolt stitch, a triple stitch, or a fake overlock stitch. Any of these are great to use on stretch fabrics. Or just use a zig zag. smile The twin needle gives a very neat and tidy finish to a hem but isn't necessary .

JenniMoo Thu 06-Mar-14 10:34:32

I think I'll get a twin needle then, I'm wanting to he some of her outgrown tights into leggings too...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now