Talk

Advanced search

I think I've had a Splendid Idea

(20 Posts)
DameFanny Sun 02-Mar-14 21:23:38

But could use some guidance to help me work it out...

So, I could really use a blocking board as I'm working a lace scarf from no-iron yarn. I would of course have nowhere to store such a thing, but have identified a surface it could sit on while in use.

So my cunning plan� is to make up a padded board that would otherwise live suspended from the head of our bed which is one of the cheapy iron ikea jobs, giving a more comfortable reading-in-bed experience - win all round.

So, how do I do it and what will go wrong?

I'm thinking:

Chipboard
Wadding
Cream or white fabric, preferably with a self-coloured check or stripe
Cord loops to attach to bed

What am I missing?

DameFanny Sun 02-Mar-14 21:24:19

And how do you do a trademark symbol?

TunipTheUnconquerable Sun 02-Mar-14 21:59:53

In awe of your genius! grin

DameFanny Sun 02-Mar-14 22:02:21

<curtsies humbly>

But how do I do it? Would it just be like one of those ribbon pinboard whosits?

TunipTheUnconquerable Sun 02-Mar-14 22:04:11

A removable, washable cover?

DameFanny Sun 02-Mar-14 22:11:26

Mmm. Getting complicated...

TunipTheUnconquerable Sun 02-Mar-14 22:17:17

I seem to remember a home-made bedhead cover (I think my mum made it) that was basically a hemmed rectangle of cloth with a drawstring on it that tied at the back.
I just think if you're leaning against it to read, even clean hair has oil and grease in it, which you don't want to end up getting sucked up by your knitting/crochet when a warm iron is applied.
Though you might put a cloth over it when you do the blocking?

DameFanny Sun 02-Mar-14 22:23:07

Damn, you're right. Gah.

<adds Velcro to list>

TunipTheUnconquerable Sun 02-Mar-14 22:25:10

And use natural wadding in case the artificial stuff melts?

DameFanny Sun 02-Mar-14 22:56:16

<Scribbles furiously on notes>

DameFanny Sun 02-Mar-14 22:57:10

<hopes the wadding ordered on a whim wasn't polyester>

DameFanny Sun 02-Mar-14 23:02:12

Oh, if I'm making a washable cover I can use black and white gingham for pinning accuracy, and have an undercover of something that looks good on the bed. Hurrah for Tunip grin

DameFanny Sun 02-Mar-14 23:21:30

Nope, undercover of gingham, top cover of something heavy and lovely

OwlCapone Mon 03-Mar-14 08:55:02

I'm not sure wadding would do the job for blocking - isn't it usually something firmer like foam? I've heard of people using those baby foam playmats that are like jigsaw pieces.

DameFanny Mon 03-Mar-14 09:13:14

I'm looking for something to pin out to for stuff that can't be ironed - have I got it wrong?

OwlCapone Mon 03-Mar-14 11:43:21

No idea really but I wonder if wadding would hold the tension of the thing being pinned or if the pins need to go into something firmer.

DameFanny Mon 03-Mar-14 12:50:43

I thought the tension was from the fabric layer, and the wadding just created the gap from the board?

mimiasovitch Wed 05-Mar-14 10:57:40

I second using foam mats. They take up no space too. You could still make a comfy headboard though.

ibbydibby Wed 05-Mar-14 14:50:15

Sounds good...am v worried as having just (this morning) finished lace scarf knitted with non-iron wool, I have posted it to recipient without blocking or anything...am I bad? shock

DameFanny Wed 05-Mar-14 19:40:11

Not everything needs blocking, don't worry! But the crochet pattern I've got needs it to show the squares in the lace...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now