Talk

Advanced search

How do you organise cross stitch thread?

(7 Posts)
chocoshopoholic Sun 02-Mar-14 19:33:35

Just that really. Have restarted cross stitch and have lots of skinners of thread, and some which have been separated out into pairs. They keep getting tangled so I was looking for ideas on organisation and storage.

Thanks,

Vatta Sun 02-Mar-14 21:54:30

I like to wrap each skein around small bits of cardboard, then make a small cut at an angle in the cardboard, and push the loose end of the thread through that.

Then you can line all the little squares if cardboard with thread around them up in a drawer/filing tray.

Only started embroidery about a month ago, so there may be a better technique I haven't found yet!

fanoftheinvisibleman Sun 02-Mar-14 21:56:27

Same as Vatta. You can buy the cards and sectioned boxes cheaply too.

DramaAlpaca Sun 02-Mar-14 22:00:45

Also same as Vatta, and I store them in little sectioned boxes by colour.

Dutchoma Sun 02-Mar-14 22:07:47

I do the little bit of cards too, write the number of the thread colour on the bit of card (DMC or Anchor) and then file them by number in one of those boxes with drawers you buy at Argos to put screws and other small DIY components in. You can either file them by number or by colour.

sicily1921 Mon 03-Mar-14 16:40:06

I punch holes into a piece of card (postcards are quite good for smaller projects) with a hole punch. Make sure the thread is not too long, say about 15cm then thread each colour through the hole and write the symbol/colour at the side. Some colours may use more than one hole if you have a lot of it. There might be a better way but I find this had always worked ok for me. Happy stitching, you've chosen a really nice hobby smile

chocoshopoholic Tue 04-Mar-14 03:34:27

Thanks all, will head off to find small boxes at the weekend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now