Talk

Advanced search

Is it difficult to alter the top of a dress like this?

(6 Posts)
purpleminion Sun 02-Mar-14 15:59:34

boden dress

I bought it for a very low price in the sale. I love the colour and pattern but it is a bit baggy and unflattering on top. It definitely looks better when I pull it up on the shoulders. I am quite short on top.

Is it a complicated job?

I've started sewing recently but doubt I would be up to it myself but would pay a reasonable amount to get it done considering I got it for under £20 and it's normally £89!

Thanks

BumpyGrindy Sun 02-Mar-14 23:00:25

I would say that it's tricky yes...one of the main issues is the fabric...viscose is hard to sew as it's very "Pully" if you know what I mean and it's thin...so any mistakes will show up. You should possibly do it by hand...use pins...

Nocomet Sun 02-Mar-14 23:07:16

I wouldn't fancy altering that, one for trying lots of bras under, I suspect.

I have a built in chicken fillets, give you cleavage bra that might help with that. I am also short of body and curse dress tops.

ishouldcocoa Mon 03-Mar-14 08:59:11

I would maybe get a professional sewing alterations place to have a look at it.

Once you change it in one direction, it will effect others - i.e if you take it up on the shoulders, you'll have to re-jig the arms.

Nocomet Mon 03-Mar-14 09:15:11

Trouble is in a commercial dress the sleeves will be overlocked with no spare fabric, so unpicking and lowering them would be a nightmare.

I guess you can't shorten the bodice at the waist?

purpleminion Tue 04-Mar-14 19:14:55

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll have a professional take a look at it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now