Talk

Advanced search

Etsy? Folksy? Ebay? All of these?

(10 Posts)
Flossyfloof Sun 02-Mar-14 11:39:29

I really want to start selling my hand-knitted stuff. I don't really think that my own website is the way to go so am thinking of Etsy or Folksy. Ebay is a possibility but I always feel that it is more of a bargain-basement type of site, I know I expect to get a bargain when I look on there. Craft fairs are not really the kind of thing I want to do.
I know I am not going to make a fortune but would like to make a little bit out of my work. Please does anyone have any experience/advice they can share?

BumpyGrindy Sun 02-Mar-14 11:43:06

Do both and also a Facebook page...I know people who sell a lot of things on FB pages and you can have links to your Etsy and Folksy shops too. As well as that you can update regularly and have little offers of a free item when people "like" the page...that way you get more people who see your page and it costs very little...only one item to be given to a random liker.

Flossyfloof Sun 02-Mar-14 11:47:54

Thanks for that, I did set up a Facebook account but don't really get on with it. I will have another look as I don't really know how it works!

BumpyGrindy Sun 02-Mar-14 11:52:58

It's very easy but I reccomend that you look about on FB for people who have pages for their crafts like this have a look at her page, see who she "likes" and go from there. Once your page is up, you troll around the site liking other, similar crafty pages and leaving a message like "Hello! Another new liker from Angies Knits! and they should like you back...then you will be on a roll

BumpyGrindy Sun 02-Mar-14 11:54:55

Also think about joining Pinterest and Instagram...put up pics of your makes...people will find them as they google for things like "Hand knitted child's jumper" and then they can get to your site from those pages.

Read some articles on Social Media and using it for craft businesses. Just google "Social media and craft businesses"

Flossyfloof Sun 02-Mar-14 12:11:05

Thanks Bumpy how generous. One of the issues I have is that my friend and neighbour is a knitter too and I would feel uncomfortable about selling things on my Facebook page that she sells, especially as I would be selling them at a higher price (assuming anyone wants to buy them). Not extortionate, but she sells at a country market and they are supposed to sell for minimum prices, I think. I genuinely don't think her prices are half high enough. I will speak to her before I do the Facebook thing.

BumpyGrindy Sun 02-Mar-14 15:02:12

You dont use your own fb page...you set up a sellers page...invite only the facebook friends you want onto your sellers page....dont be wary of upsetting your neighbour...

firesidechat Tue 04-Mar-14 08:37:39

I wouldn't sell handcrafted things on Ebay unless I was just de cluttering because the buyers won't appreciate handcrafted on the whole. I have used Folksy for selling stuff and it was fine and I would definitely have given Etsy a go if I had continued with my business.

The one thing you must do is register with HMRC as self employed. You will need to fill in a simple online form to register and do a tax return every year. It's quite easy and the consequences of not registering can be expensive (a fine) and distressing (an investigation).

So keep basic accounts of outgoings such as purchasing supplies and incomings such as sales.

Public liability insurance is also highly recommended.

574ejones Sat 08-Mar-14 10:12:11

I have shops on Folksy and Etsy. I found Etsy is better for setting your shop up, offering discounts etc., but I have had more sales on Folksy.

Feckthis Sat 15-Mar-14 08:38:08

Also, why not have a ravelry page of group? And link it to your sites. You'll get to knitters and yarn lovers then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now