Talk

Advanced search

quilting

(4 Posts)
drinkyourmilk Sat 01-Mar-14 17:59:03

My mum has mentioned she would like to give quilting a try. I thought she may like a starters kit for mothers day. She is in a caravan in Portugal (8 months a year in the sun, sigh) so will be hand sewing. Does anyone have any recommendations?

wightjellybaby Sat 01-Mar-14 22:18:49

You can buy starter sets in good haberdashery shops (and probably online I cant do this I need to touch before I buy im weird and cant do the hassle of sending back) do you have any idea what shed like to make? And how much sewng experience she has do you want beginner easy or something more advanced?

drinkyourmilk Sat 01-Mar-14 22:57:02

Beginner easy I suspect. She used to crochet and make faberge type eggs, but don't think she's ever sewn.

wightjellybaby Sun 02-Mar-14 10:08:24

You can get fabric with printed picture panels on you can just sew round the outline of the picture in a running stitch to get the quilted effect youll need some wadding and a backing fabric usually plane and of the same thickness (but its up to you). I think this would be a good place to start as its a bit less fiddly than making something from hundreds of little shapes (like the old faahioned styles with hexagons). Or you could just make a sandwich of any fabric plane or patterned woth the wadding in the middle and she could sew anything she likes onto it just draw it on with a pencil and follow the lines

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now