Talk

Advanced search

Crochet baby blanket, what wool?

(19 Posts)
Giddypants Sat 01-Mar-14 16:54:10

I am planning on making this blanket fora friend who is expecting! I'm not doing the owls different colours! but I'm not sure which yarn to use any ideas?

OwlCapone Sat 01-Mar-14 18:09:59

I love that blanket smile it's been on my Wish list for a good while now.

What sort of budget do you have?

Giddypants Sat 01-Mar-14 18:45:35

Not crazy money, about £3 a ball or so, I was a bit unsure whether I could do it, I'm only a novice but the instructions are fab so easy to follow

Giddypants Sat 01-Mar-14 19:13:38

Are acrylics any good? The ones o bought from hobby craft are a bit fluffy once I've worked with them. I've mainly done things with cotton as I like the feel, but I don't think its appropriate for a baby blanket

mermaidbutmytailfelloff Sat 01-Mar-14 19:19:21

Debbie bliss' baby cashmerino is lovely but about 5 a ball, sometimes good deals on eBay though

Ohbyethen Sat 01-Mar-14 19:48:33

No help at all as I was searching threads for an answer to a similar question but how beautiful is that?! I've completely fallen in love with it (not that I could make it yet I'm still tying my own hands together) I would love to see your finished article before it's lovingly tucked into a new Moses basket.

<happy ravelry sigh>

Trumpton Sat 01-Mar-14 20:06:26

Stylecraft. Lovely colours and it doesn't squeak or go bobbly.

PolterGoose Sat 01-Mar-14 20:19:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OwlCapone Sat 01-Mar-14 21:19:10

I've looked through all my favourite yarns and can't see anything obvious in an Aran weight. Stylecraft does come in an Aran version but the colours are limited - it would depend on what colours you had in mind. There doesn't seem to be anything as zingy as the original.

TheWoollybacksWife Sat 01-Mar-14 21:44:36

If you go for a DK weight yarn then Sirdar Baby Bamboo is lovely to work with and comes in a fabulous range of colours. It's around £3.50 a ball.

trice Sat 01-Mar-14 22:01:45

I can second Trumpton, stylecraft washes well, feels soft and has a good range of colours. Cotton would be too stiff and bamboo too floppy. Lovely blanket though.

Giddypants Sat 01-Mar-14 22:14:39

Thanks ladies, I'll get researching tomorrow.
my friend is about 14 weeks so I have plenty of time, I think the majority of it will get done at the knit and natter group I go to. It's only 2 hours once a week, but you'd be surprised how much you can get done without an 11 month old climbing up your leg! But I will post a picture when it's done

OwlCapone Sat 01-Mar-14 22:23:08

When you say £3 a ball, you need to consider how big a ball you get for that.

Giddypants Sun 02-Mar-14 08:49:45

For 100g

OwlCapone Sun 02-Mar-14 09:11:28

A lot of the nicer yarns are out then as they tend to come in 50g balls.

OwlCapone Sun 02-Mar-14 09:12:47

I'd have a look at the Stylecraft. The DK has a better range of colours than the Aran and you'd need to use a 4mm hook which would make your blanket smaller - you'd have to make more of the pieces.

firesidechat Sun 02-Mar-14 10:46:02

The yarn used in the original is self stripping, so you get maximum effect with minimum effort. I'm sure a plainer one would look lovely too.

Stylecraft Special is a very good acrylic yarn which looks more expensive than it is and is nice to work with. It's very practical for new parents because they need something in a forgiving yarn which they can just throw in the washing machine.

Lovely blanket. I've used sirdar snuggly for a ripple blanket which was lovely, but the colour range is quite muted, so I would use the stylecraft for the owl one as you need brighter colours I think.

Giddypants Sun 02-Mar-14 14:22:44

Thanks again, I'll go for the supercraft special, just for the choice of colours. Wish me luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now