Talk

Advanced search

if you had 30 balls of wool.....

(16 Posts)
pantshavenames Wed 19-Feb-14 21:54:57

What would you make? (Crochet)
I had a bit of a splurge in a 70℅ off Rowan sale. They are all DK weight, and I am quite clear with colours so they are all reasonably coherent, but different. So..can I eke out to blanket? I quite fancy a largish bag, would I then reach to a cushion? I have 2 weeks before sale ends but the scene was of locusts so wouldn't like to think I could get more than a couple of balls to augment if necessary. I look at my stash and PURR withcontentment but really... I need a plan smile

HanSolo Wed 19-Feb-14 21:58:29

Um, I would mostly keep them in the cupboard, and take them out every now and again, admire them, stroke them, then spend all evening on pinterest/ravelry for inspiration, and wishing I was better at starting projects blush

Repeat every month or so, and promise to yourself you'll stop popping into JL haberdashery when the sale is on blush blush

pantshavenames Wed 19-Feb-14 22:07:21

Ooh the satisfaction of imagining potential projects for the stash would outclass the grief pangs every time a ball is used! I see your thinking....

SuburbanSpaceperson Wed 19-Feb-14 22:10:40

Where was there a 70% off Rowan sale. Completely misses the point of the thread

Do you knit or crochet?

HanSolo Wed 19-Feb-14 22:12:14

grin

I have some beautiful yarn too... I just think it looks more beautiful in a lovely, snuggly ball!

roadwalker Wed 19-Feb-14 22:12:51

ditto
where is this bargain?

SuburbanSpaceperson Wed 19-Feb-14 22:14:12

Sorry, you said crochet.

Would you like a Japanese Flower scarf a la Attic24? I am almost finished making one and it was very enjoyable to make. It took 9 balls of 50g, but I think if I was doing it again I would use 10 balls as there was only just enough. The Noro crochet book has a pretty good pattern in this style.

roadwalker Wed 19-Feb-14 22:16:08

sorry to ignore your question

I have dozens of projects waiting in my ravelry library, have you looked there for inspiration
I want to try the wool eater blanket
I made a lovely bag- settlers of catan
I am planning to make the heidi bears elephant, I have already made 3 hippos and 1 pony.
All the above can be found on ravelry
My project at the moment is a C2C

roadwalker Wed 19-Feb-14 22:17:06

OOh yes, I have made the Japanese flower scarf, thats a good use of many different colours

TheWoollybacksWife Wed 19-Feb-14 22:19:46

If I had 30 balls of wool I'd think somebody had nicked about half of my stash grin blush

On my list of things to make is the striped bag on the Attic24 blog

HanSolo Wed 19-Feb-14 22:21:04

My ultimate dream is to make a lizard ridge blanket... but I haven't actually bought any Noro yet, and that's probably a v good thing.

pantshavenames Thu 20-Feb-14 08:17:10

My local house of Frazer (northampton)is closing down, so the haberdashery concession is getting rid of all it's stock. That's partly the reason for the panic buying because after this I'll struggle for a non-online stockist.sad
I like the idea of the flower scarf. I like it so much I already have 10 balls of lovely silk/merino blend in the stash ear marked for something similar.. blush
What is a lizard ridge blanket?

HanSolo Thu 20-Feb-14 11:39:52

This is Lizard Ridge it's a free pattern, on ravelry, and on her blog. The Noro is multi-coloured, and it knits up into this pattern.

HanSolo Thu 20-Feb-14 11:40:23

Here's one for scale grin

PsychicPaper Thu 20-Feb-14 11:43:14

what about this it makes the loveliset snuggly blanket, wilth such an unusual texture

monikar Thu 20-Feb-14 11:58:33

Woolly I thought exactly the same! I would wonder where the rest of my stash was too grin .

OP, if I had had your windfall, then I would probably make a lovely blanket with some of it, seeing as the colours go together. I would also feel compelled to return to the store, just in case there were a few more bargains I had overlooked on my first visit blush .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now