Talk

Advanced search

Crocheters..... How much time do you spend on projects per week ?

(18 Posts)
craftykits Tue 18-Feb-14 15:32:47

Roughly ? And how many things on the go ? I find that I can't be bothered to do much else once the kids have gone off to school. Dh often asks very subtly what I've been up to all day ?!?
Just interested....
Also, how long would a 30cm ish high siftie take you ?.... Body, head, arms legs and ears ??!

poopooheadwillyfatface Tue 18-Feb-14 16:05:48

knitter not crochet here.
Dh very often finds nothing done at home except the washing up but a little cardigan has appearedblush
I try to plan to do my knitting only in the evening eg when you would only be watching tv etc before bed. but I often do it in the day instead of what I should be doing.

wightjellybaby Tue 18-Feb-14 16:18:44

I only get time when dds gone to bed shes too interested in playing with my wool wen shes up so just a couple of hours a night wen I can be bothered. Im making a crochet woven patterened blanket its taking ages! It took me 2months like this to knit her a jumper I dont know if thats fast or painfully slow?

craftykits Tue 18-Feb-14 18:20:30

Ooh I meant a softie !!! Not sure what a siftie is !

TheWoollybacksWife Tue 18-Feb-14 20:01:38

I'm not a very good sleeper so I usually sit up for a couple of hours after the rest of the family go to bed. This is usually my crafting time. So I manage anything from 10 to 15 hours per week.

I'm currently making a baby blanket in Aran weight yarn. I'm also knitting a nativity set - but that has lots of fiddly bits so I usually just do that for one night per week. The blanket should take about two weeks - I'm about two thirds of the way through.

craftykits Tue 18-Feb-14 22:19:36

It's interesting isn't it... Probably the more experienced can churn out items quite quickly. I like to crochet whilst I watch telly ( rules out sub-titles !) but I also have the added issue of needing my glasses for the tv and needing to take them off for the crochet !!! podcasts are a good thing as listening is easier than watching... So things can take a while. I've just finished a bunny... I reckon it's taken about 5-6 hours including sewing up...I also like to have a few squares for blankets on the go for a change of scenery.

TheWoollybacksWife Tue 18-Feb-14 23:42:28

I now have varifocals because I'm ancient so that solves the look up/look down problem grin

I was taught to crochet by my Reception class teacher so I've been crocheting for 40 years and can mostly manage to do it without looking, unless the pattern is really complicated. I now only have to do 8 rows and the edging on my blanket. I love listening to the crime dramas on Radio 4 Extra while I'm crocheting or knitting.

yegodsandlittlefishes Tue 18-Feb-14 23:55:24

I'll do as much crochet as I can fit in, I think I may be addicted. At least 10 hours a week and probably up to about 50 some weeks! blush I do make myself do the housework, shopping, ironing and other chores first...Unless I am very stressed and then I crochet because it helps me calm down. I love a good crime drama, woollybackswife thanks for the tip! :D

My current obsession is 6" flower squares, and I'm working through a book of them adapting them for a community blanket (gift), learning as I go.
Also have a chunky cotton/silk/banana yarn blanket on the go, and a cotton blanket, a colourful ripple and various ideas in my head.

craftykits Wed 19-Feb-14 07:04:11

So, glad I'm not the only one ! I too find it an amazing stress reliever and have also taken over the spare room as my crafty sanctuary. Vari - focals sound like the answer ! Must get myself down to specsavers. I'm 43 and the eyesight thing has just kicked in the last year or so.

yegodsandlittlefishes Wed 19-Feb-14 07:20:27

Ye

yegodsandlittlefishes Wed 19-Feb-14 07:27:23

Sorry, don't know why that posted! (Am using wifi hotspot and phone keeps doing odd things.)

Yes, I first started wearing varifocals at 43. Made me feel old, and went for the 'best' lenses so had to choose from cheapest frames. No more frameless. sad had to get another prescription last month and found out that they 'prefer' you to not go down in quality of prescription if you go for the most personalised.

Got to put my phone down now as this forget-me-not crochet square is calling me.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 19-Feb-14 08:49:14

I manage about 1.5 hours up to 5 times per week in front of the TV, but I work full time including nights and weekends so this is the limiter.

monikar Wed 19-Feb-14 10:22:02

I would knit and crochet all day and all night if I could grin.

In reality what with working and seeing to the house and DC it is an hour or so an evening. I also find when I am stressed, I tend to do more as I find it relaxing. Sometimes, if I am particularly stressed , I re-organise my stash - this can take a while blush .

craftykits Wed 19-Feb-14 11:38:55

I do love a tidy up !...particularly when I've finished a project....

monikar Wed 19-Feb-14 13:37:54

crafty I love a tidy-up too, but sometimes I just like to look at my ever-growing stash! How sad am I blush .

I usually have one knitting project and one crochet project on the go at one time. I also have at least one knitting project waiting to be sewn up as that is something I am not so keen on.

whatdoesittake48 Wed 19-Feb-14 14:18:44

When i am really enjoying something, I can do several hours a day...weekends it can literally be all day with breaks for food...

generally though, it is probably an hour or two a day.

then sometimes i just need a break until the ext inspiration comes my way. tgheat can be anything up to a couple of weeks.

If I have been teaches loads, I can get to the stage i don't want to do it anymore.

WoodBurnerBabe Sat 22-Feb-14 20:38:48

I manage about 2 hours a night, 4 nights a week and a bit at weekends, so maybe 10 hours a week?

MiaowTheCat Mon 24-Feb-14 20:23:33

I can't do a lot in one go - if I flare the pain in my hands up it hurts for weeks (my mum has terrible arthritis, my gran had terrible arthritis and I'm fairly sure it's beginning to start to niggle in me). With an 11 month and 22 month old running around the place I tend to find I work best if I stick to small cuddlies or square and assemble type projects I can shove in a dressing gown pocket if needed and I just tend to pick them up to occupy my hands while the kids are playing for an hour or so here and there over the course of the day. For some reason aran takes it out of my hands much more than double knitting weight yarn - I've been feeling it for a week now from some aran I worked with ages ago.

It takes me about a fortnight to do a piece that would work as a cushion cover if that gives you an idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now