Talk

Advanced search

Sewing ideas for children

(3 Posts)
Margaretwwl Fri 14-Feb-14 15:44:31

Hi. I've volunteered to help out my kids' primary school, doing sewing during Golden Time. I've to take 2 x 8 children & make something (I'm thinking of cross-stitching or felt purse). The kids are a lot younger (age 6-7) than I would have liked! Just wondering if they can use normal needles, or should I play safe & buy plastic sewing needles? If it's the latter, where can I buy them? Or has people got any other ideas?

I dont want to spend a lot. I get the impression I will be funding it (@ least to start with) as the Head has not mentioned anything re: money. I'm not sure how to bring the subject up.

Not worked with children before (mine aren't interested), but I do enjoy crafting!

lulahrose Fri 14-Feb-14 15:50:59

I run a Rainbows group (age 5-7), we've done quite a bit of sewing using normal needles (we talk about pins and needle safety each time we sew).
We've sewn felt Christmas decs, hearts for Valentines Day etc.
We're trying cross stitch next (not sure how that will go!)

I bought the needles in Hobbycraft- there's a 20% off voucher floating round on the internet at the moment.

lulahrose Fri 14-Feb-14 15:53:38

Just another thought, in my school resources cupboard we have boxes full of material, needles and thread, so maybe ask the school if they have something similar?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now