Talk

Advanced search

So have managed to make cushion covers.....what next?

(8 Posts)
TheSteveMilliband Fri 14-Feb-14 13:53:32

Firstly, should say I a not crafty or artistic. But...made some cushions and enjoyed it, saved money, got what I wanted. And think I may have got the craft bug!
What fairly easy, useful ( or just nice) things can I do next? I was hovering over the knitting needles in the haberdashers but not sure whether I have the time to invest.
Any suggestions to a novice would be great

Lovevhate Sun 16-Feb-14 11:59:27

What about trying some hanging hearts or simple tote bags? Fat quarters are a great way to go for making smaller projects. Have a look on etsy and pinterest for inspiration! Happy sewing!

jerryfudd Sun 16-Feb-14 12:09:19

I'm a novice (taught myself to use a machine last year). So far I've made patchwork quilts (love these), drawstring bags, hanging hearts, soft toy dinosaur, elephant and snowmen), nappy wallet, bibs and cushions.

RiaOverTheRainbow Sun 16-Feb-14 12:29:11

With chunky yarn you could knit a scarf/cushion cover/table runner quite quickly, and with the right yarn you can get effects that look far more complicated than they are. Or there are excellent tutorials for crocheting wall decorations. What sort of thing did you have in mind?

TheSteveMilliband Sun 16-Feb-14 18:39:59

Thanks love, jerry and ria. I may try a tote, I have some leftover material to experiment with. I'm not sure what to try - have a large knitted cath kidston striped blanket which I love, but know anything similar would take years hmm. Thought of lots of squares...I suppose it takes as long but then you get sense of achievement from one square,,,Wondered about crochet, have NO idea how long it takes.... Have 4&6 yr old boys so things they would like maybe?
I suppose kids things or home decor really. Will take a look at Pinterest - thanks for the recommendations

jerryfudd Sun 16-Feb-14 20:08:37

You could do some bunting for their room

craftysewer Sun 16-Feb-14 21:28:38

Bunting would be great, you can make it as easy or difficult as you like. Easy is using pinking shears to cut the triangles and then sew it onto ribbon or cotton tape. More difficult is to cut 2 triangles, sew them together along the long sides, clip the point and turn it the right way out. Turn in the top and attach to ribbon or tape. Whatever you choose to do make sure it's something you are going to enjoy.

TheSteveMilliband Mon 17-Feb-14 20:41:09

Bunting would go down very well, I'm sure! Thanks for the tips thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now