Talk

Advanced search

I never thought I'd write this but: I need to make a drum carrying case for DH - what material should I use?

(15 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 13-Feb-14 19:08:58

I need a bit of material about 54 by 28 plus either end (circles 18 inches in diameter)

But what?

It must be hard wearing, reasonably padded, easy to sew, have a pattern that matches up.

I have bright blue webbing I could use for straps & I'm planning on a cylinder with a drawstring with a flap over the top

I can do metal eyelets but I'm worried about sewing sturdy canvas or quilted material.....HELP?

Funnyfoot Thu 13-Feb-14 22:48:28

Link on tips for sewing thick fabric.
keyka.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/12/sewing-through-thick-layers-of-fabric.html

Possible material
www.fabric-dreams.co.uk/Unicoloured/Fashionable-quilt-panne-velvet-black-145cm::237475.html

Hope this helps smile

KatyMac Fri 14-Feb-14 07:39:32

Thanks the tips are great - but the material isn't what he envisages (men are harder to please I think)

Funnyfoot Fri 14-Feb-14 07:43:55

There was loads of different kinds of material on the website.
Happy hunting smile

KatyMac Fri 14-Feb-14 09:17:34

I'll look after work - thanks

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Fri 14-Feb-14 09:28:23

Neoprene? Not cheap but would be hardwearing and look cool grin

stealthsquiggle Fri 14-Feb-14 09:28:27

I would separate the issues of toughness and padding IIWY. You can buy canvas online quite cheaply - just make sure you boil wash it before you cut it as it does shrink, a lot.

Then get wadding and some thinner fabric and make a lined bag - so essentially make 2 bags and then sew them together.

I will try and find a link to the ebay seller I used for canvas (I make lots of bags!) - it is genuinely very tough, not that hard to sew (it's not stiff, once it's washed), and would be the right choice IMHO.

stealthsquiggle Fri 14-Feb-14 09:32:17

Not sure if this is the exact seller I used, as my ebay records don't go back very far, but this is the sort of stuff I mean.

KatyMac Fri 14-Feb-14 17:26:53

Thanks - that looks perfect!

I like the idea of 2 bags too - do you think I could use an old quilt & then just sew them together at the end?

I was starting to think this was a disastrous project - but I might manage it!

stealthsquiggle Fri 14-Feb-14 19:34:38

You have 2 options - either leave a gap in the side seam of the inner bag, sew them together around the top, right sides together and then turn the whole kaboodle through the aforementioned hole, or make up both bags, put them together wrong sides together, and bind the top edges.

I am trying to picture this bag now, though, having typed that. That's how I make 90% of my bags, but they are not drum cases so don't have tops as such. Will the top zip on or what? I think I would make a drum case by the first method, but with the zip sandwiched between the two layers, and then make the top disk separately and similarly sandwich the other half of the zip, but I am not 100% sure...confused

KatyMac Fri 14-Feb-14 19:44:51

No zip

More like a kit bag (actually maybe I should buy I kit bag) with a drawstring & a flap over the top

stealthsquiggle Fri 14-Feb-14 20:06:24

Buying a kit bag would take all the fun out of it wink

Drawstring bag - see above about sewing them together and turning through the hole, then topstitch and put the eyelets in.

KatyMac Fri 14-Feb-14 20:19:15

Time vs fun? I also have 2 matching dining armchairs to cover & a fireside chair

I want to be a SAHM (now DD is 16) wink

KatyMac Sun 16-Feb-14 19:58:02

I made it

I used a pre-made curtain with eyelets at the top, sewed down the side, added a circular bottom & used a curtain ull as the drawstring

I need to organise carrying straps but for now it's fine

craftysewer Sun 16-Feb-14 21:31:33

Glad you got it sorted out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now