Talk

Advanced search

i want to knit a nativity. recommendations please.

(23 Posts)
ItsAWonderfulCervix Mon 30-Dec-13 17:52:48

I am the slowest knitter in the world so if i start now it should be nearly done by next christmas.

Also i'm a bit crap and can really only do straight lines.

There are lots of books on amazon. Any recommendations please?

katcatkat Mon 30-Dec-13 19:12:20

I have done knitivity and its very easy all straight lines etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Knitivity-Ivy-Press/dp/1907332456

Results were fairly good.

Dutchoma Mon 30-Dec-13 19:19:23

I've got two: one is Knit the Christmas story by Jan Messent and there is also one in Jean Greenhowe's Christmas special. I have never done either of them, so can't advise on how easy or difficult it is. Jean Greenhowe is usually quite straightforward, but you have to be able to cope with little fiddly bits. It's a good idea to start now and see how you get on. Best of luck.

ItsAWonderfulCervix Mon 30-Dec-13 20:06:33

Thsnks

TheWoollybacksWife Mon 30-Dec-13 20:16:53

Can't help with a pattern recommendation but can offer some oddments of DK yarn. Off the top of my head I know I have blue, grey, pink and purple. I'm still sorting out my just moved/Christmas/DS birthday crap but can pop something in the post by the end of January.

MinniesMate Tue 31-Dec-13 12:45:12

If you like a challenge, what about this!!

www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/10828121.Life_sized__knitivity__wows_the_crowds_at_knitting_show/

smile

TwoCatsInTheYard Tue 31-Dec-13 12:52:44

Jean Greenhowe is fairly straightforward. You need to be able to knit, purl, increase and decrease but there are no fancy bits that I can remember. There are lots of fiddly little bits like arms and beards which makes the sewing up a bit of pain.

Good luck with finishing by next Christmas though. I started about 5 years ago and still don't have a complete set! <snatches world's slowest knitter badge>

FirstUpBestDressed Tue 31-Dec-13 13:22:16

My lovely friend surprised us with our best present ever.
I will try to put a picture on my profile.
Good luck!

ItsAWonderfulCervix Tue 31-Dec-13 13:59:53

The life size ones would take me 10000 years!

Smudge588 Thu 02-Jan-14 21:44:34

I am in progress with an Alan dart one which I downloaded from his website. I'm doing it in natural colours and love it so far. It was meant for this christmas but I got waylaid!

ILoveOnionRings Fri 03-Jan-14 18:30:31

Hi Smudge could you let me know where you purchased the wool from. I have been searching on the internet and got quite confused - the Honey 816 seems to be labelled Wheat on all sites and the Alpine 842 seems to be discontinued. sad

Thanks

Smudge588 Fri 03-Jan-14 19:16:39

I didn't follow the wool recommendations sorry. I just used what I had other than buying the flesh toned one. All my wools are different brands and some are ancient! Looks ok though!

friley Fri 03-Jan-14 19:28:50

For an easier twist on knitting you nativity how about making all of the characters out of pom poms?! I know it might sound crazy but with different sized pom poms you can get quite an effect. You can even get pom pom makers to help you make lots quickly (better than the old way of using circles of cardboard). pompommaker.co.uk will give you a good idea of what I mean - If you look at the cover of the books towards the bottom I bet you will be surprised but the quality of what you can make... even animals!

BigBirthdayGloom Fri 03-Jan-14 21:27:48

There was a simple looking one in knit today magazine for the last three months. Back issues available but I guess that makes it expensive.

ILoveOnionRings Fri 03-Jan-14 21:51:48

Thanks Smudge

TheWoollybacksWife Sat 04-Jan-14 11:22:12

Thanks to you lot I have bought a knitted nativity book... grin

BigBirthdayGloom Sat 04-Jan-14 17:22:12

Don't worry-buying the book doesn't mean you have to knit it. Otherwise I'd have knitted one by now!

Sixgeese Sun 05-Jan-14 21:11:47

I've done the Jean Greenhowe one, it was really easy, the only hard part is find the disappearing sheep when the children run off with them. It was just knit and purl with increasing and decreasing as required, knitted in double knitting on 3mm needles the figures are about 20cm high. The only thing that I was surprised about is the base is cardboard, so definitely a decoration not a toy. The original Christmas book has Mary, Joseph, two shepherds, three Wise Men, sheep, a manger and of course Baby Jesus. The Donkey to complete the set is in the other Christmas pattern book. There is more than just a nativity in the book, there are lot of other Christmas decorations/ toys in it (Santa, Mrs Santa, Snowmen, Reindeers, mini toys and Christmas tree decorations). I have definitely got my moneys worth of patterns from the book.

AramintaDeWinter Tue 07-Jan-14 22:41:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LatteLady Wed 08-Jan-14 17:39:11

Seriously you don't, no really don't do it!

TheWoollybacksWife Sat 29-Mar-14 22:48:27

I'm resurrecting this thread to show off share my knitted nativity with you.

I'm also pleased to say that Knotty and Pistey have accepted it for one of their fundraising sales.

ComfyLeatherChair Sun 30-Mar-14 02:32:40

Looks stunning, absolutely stunning. well done!

Dutchoma Sun 30-Mar-14 09:13:17

That is wonderful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now