Talk

Advanced search

I want to sew a big (ish) bag for my MIL's knitting stuff. Seen any patterns?

(12 Posts)
LowLevelWhinging Thu 27-Jun-13 09:44:51

I was kind of thinking like a big carpet bag shape, so using a metal frame. Or maybe just a trug shape?

I'm not a knitter so don't know what would be useful to her. Any thoughts?

It's for a birthday present in a couple of months.

TheYoniExpress Thu 27-Jun-13 19:45:56

I think Amy Butler has a knitting/ craft bag pattern, but I would go into Pinterest and search for knitting bag pattern and I bet you'll get loads of free patterns....

LowLevelWhinging Thu 27-Jun-13 20:21:30

thank you yoni, I'll have a mooch.

Do you knit? Do you (or anyone) have an idea of what kind of shape/size would be useful for a knitter?

Like, does it have to be wide enough for needles to lie down in it, or do knitters not mind if they stick out the top?

I am possibly overthinking this.

LowLevelWhinging Thu 27-Jun-13 20:23:16

gah. initial searches get knitting patterns for bags... this is why I'm asking here!

PixelAteMyFace Thu 27-Jun-13 21:17:19

I prefer my knitting to lie flat, so bag should be slightly wider than knitting needles.

It`s also nice to have a pocket for sewing needles, tape measure, scissors.

And if the bag closes it is nice, so that projects don`t get grubby if abandonned for a while...

I think it is a lovely idea to make a knitting bag, your MIL is very lucky smile

LowLevelWhinging Fri 28-Jun-13 09:57:50

Thanks pixel, that rules out a trig style. I'll look for something that meets your criteria!

mrsdinklage Fri 28-Jun-13 10:01:47

I'm loving the carpet style bag - if you find one let us know where smile

fossil971 Fri 28-Jun-13 20:17:19

I've made a knitting bag for myself. I couldn't find anything I liked! I based it the proportions of an Asda a bag-for-life, IIRC it was about 40cmx40cmx18cm. It was quilted to give it body but is still a bit soft to stand up (I'm not much of an expert on quilting). I decided against a zip and it has buttons to close. It possibly doesn't need to be quite so high but I have several projects stuffed in it.

I also have a vv old Woman's Weekly pattern for making one of these bags - ace and a lot more spacious than the sort of bags-on-a-stand you get from John Lewis in icky fabrics. I made a few years ago and they were always well received - pm me if you're interested in a copy smile

stealthsquiggle Wed 03-Jul-13 23:20:45

I think there is one like that in one of my books - the bag making bible, IIRC.

LowLevelWhinging Thu 04-Jul-13 11:58:28

ooh, I'm still looking, thanks stealth!

PeterParkerSays Thu 04-Jul-13 12:35:46

I had more joy searching for a "craft bag" on Pinterest and found this (although you have to pay for the pattern) and this.

Alternatively, this (Pinterest link) is more of a tote bag with extra pockets round the side for scissors etc.

LowLevelWhinging Thu 04-Jul-13 19:39:35

aHAA! That first one is PERFECT PeterParker, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now