Talk

Advanced search

Patchwork quilt - silly to attempt this?

(51 Posts)
trefusis Fri 26-May-06 17:50:21

Message withdrawn

FioFio Fri 26-May-06 17:56:03

Message deleted

sugarfree Fri 26-May-06 17:59:58

Does it have to be 'proper' patchwork? ie.geometric shapes in a particular overall pattern.
I think crazy patchwork might be an easier place to start.Random shapes sewn together.

Don't worry about the quilting,at it's most basic it is a sandwich of wadding between your patchwork and a backing.

Hang on,I used to have some good links.

trefusis Fri 26-May-06 18:03:30

Message withdrawn

LadyTophamHatt Fri 26-May-06 18:03:40

My sister made one years ago (I mean years and years ago too, I was about 7 or 8 at the time) and I remebeer it being really slow and painstaking.

It's absolutley essential that the squares (or what ever shape you choose) are cut the same size and you sew the edges then together with the same amount of hem otherwise you'll get to the edge and it will be all wonky.

I'd love to make one but have no patience for it.

Jasnem Fri 26-May-06 18:06:48

I have an unfinished patchwork quilt (started 10 years ago)
It is very easy to make using hexagonsYou need an accurate template, the make thin card shapes (old xmas cards and cereal boxes) Tack material to each one, then just join together with very small stitches. Remove card once all sides are joined. It's easy to make "flower" shapes using either one or two circles of pattern round one hexagon, then join them together once you've made a few. That is the bit I haven't done yet.

sugarfree Fri 26-May-06 18:07:48

'proper' patchwork quilts for beginners
a few months from now?
'crazy' patchwork

There are hundreds of thousands of resources on the web.

trefusis Fri 26-May-06 18:07:52

Message withdrawn

trefusis Fri 26-May-06 18:09:07

Message withdrawn

sugarfree Fri 26-May-06 18:09:12

x posts!
See the link.

zippitippitoes Fri 26-May-06 18:09:54

hexagons are quite easy just cut out lots of templates and thensew them together or crazy patchwork where you use any shapes at all, then when finished embroider over with herringbone stitch

sugarfree Fri 26-May-06 18:10:27

I would love to have a go at the Dear Jane quilt,but I am in my mid thirties already,doubt I'd get it finished!

foxinsocks Fri 26-May-06 18:12:31

which area of the country are you in?

here's a shop - creative quilting fairly near us. I don't know if it has anything on there that's of use to you.

trefusis Fri 26-May-06 18:14:54

Message withdrawn

trefusis Fri 26-May-06 18:16:50

Message withdrawn

Jasnem Fri 26-May-06 18:20:16

I might get mine out and try and do some more. I could use some baby clothes on it.

My mum made them when I was little, using off cuts (she also made all my clothes) and we used them on our beds.

trefusis Fri 26-May-06 18:54:59

Message withdrawn

moondog Fri 26-May-06 18:59:45

Tref,go for it!!!!!

I was always a crap sewer but hankered after one of these.
I joined a class,pointing at a picture in a book and saying to the woman in charge 'Just tell me straight.I'm crap at sewing.Could I do this,yes or no??'

She laughed and said 'Yes!' and do you know what,she was right!
I attended about 24 lessons (nightclasses) and very soon was confident enough to go ot alone (I did need the class though for her to talk me through stuff first)

I have now made 5 single bed sized ones,two king size ones and am currently working on another king sized one.

I'm so proud of myself!!

It isn't hard at all,just very logical.

I love it and can tell you more if you nedd...

moondog Fri 26-May-06 19:01:14

I have incorporated lots of fave old clothes in mind,including a pair of dh's boxers in a Chritening one for a friend.(Told her very posh mum after a few glasses,she was 'astounded')##I also buy old tea towels and pillow cases to use.

moondog Fri 26-May-06 19:03:14

I like the simple American pioneer style ones best.
There are some technically very sophisticated yet hideous examples in manner of stained glass windows in 60s built churches about,usually involving primary colours,very tight machine stitching and a plethora of polyester.

moondog Fri 26-May-06 19:04:45

SF's first example is laughably easy.You could do something far more elaborate than that.
The second link is a work of art...

moondog Fri 26-May-06 19:05:12

Can you tell I like quilting??

trefusis Fri 26-May-06 19:08:04

Message withdrawn

moondog Fri 26-May-06 19:10:54

Not a silly question at all.
I hand sew,I like the process of doing it and the way that it looks.
Join a class to get started I urge you.
You will really enjoy the soothing feeling of sitting with a group of women around a large table and chatting.
When I started,I was 28(39 now) and youngest by about 25 years.

And hey,I like doing it while listening to the Allman Brothers very loud,drinking a lot and having an occasional smoke.

trefusis Fri 26-May-06 19:11:57

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: